Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

4R100 issues.

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  FordCowboy 
#1 ·
I'm pretty sure my clutches are welded together but thought I would see if anybody has any other ideas.

Some background info. I have felt my TC slip on the highway pulling hills. After driving for over an hour or so sometimes it won't shift down to 1st at a stop, it takes off in OD unless I manually shift it down to 1st, as well as sometimes not shift down or unlock the TC if I slow down from like 80 to 50 pulling a hill. Temps run 150 or lower on the highway. Once in town dealing with slowing down and speeding up the temps will go up fairly easy.

Recently put a bigger cooler on and re-located it up front to help with temps but didn't always help. New solenoid pack to see if that helped anything and I think it did help the issue I was having where the TC wouldn't unlock at a stop, but it would still try to take off in OD.

Had a leak from the pan gasket after fluid/filter change. Couldn't get it fixed after 3 new gaskets plus sealant once. Still leaks. Pan looks straight as can be. Each time pan was pulled there was a good amount of metal on the magnet and it was only a day or two with less than 50 miles on the fluid.

After doing the 3rd gasket trying to fix the leak, I drove it about 10 min and temps got up to 180ish parked it and tried to go in reverse and it wouldn't go anywhere. Let it cool down over night, and found out Neutral drives forward doesn't shift out of 1st gear but drives forward. Reverse drives forward for about 10ft then slams to a stop. All the drive gears work as they should and seem normal.

So like I said I'm thinking my clutches are fused so they aren't disengaging and trying to go forward in every gear. Anybody else have any thoughts? Trans was rebuilt by previous owner about 55,000 miles ago with a billet single disc, billet output shaft, new clutches, and VB.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.