Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Any of you guys ever see this?

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Big K 
#1 ·
was online and came across this:

See less See more
#2 ·
it says, "waste-gated turbo for improved low end / lugging." how do they figure this? how does a waste-gate effect a turbo's low-end response?

#8 ·
Since the ad indicated 210 HP, I'm assuming it was a 1996 or 1997 ad. Those years didn't have intercoolers (or CAC as they seem to like to call it).

Also, there was some concern over how much backpressure could be supported on the 7.3L and whether or not an exhaust brake was practical because it could technically lift the exhaust valves on decel from a high RPM.

What they fail to tell you in the ad is the the ISB suffered from the exact same problem. In fact, most exhaust brake kits installed on the ISB will tell you to replace the exhaust valve spring with heavier springs to prevent a valve collision.

Other than that, Cummins is pretty well on target in the ad. The blocks ARE stronger, the bearing journals are larger with more surface area and the rods are huge compared to the 7.3L. Also, an inline six will make more torque than a V8 of the same displacement because of the crank angles between each combustion event.

Still a neat ad. Now to find a retort from Ford! :D

#9 ·
I know, I know and my Johnson is likely smaller than all those fellers in the pecker miracle ads, but I am okay with it...

My supervisor is doing a Ford Cummins swap. He must be insecure about something...

J/K

Cool article, thanks for posting.

Aaron

#10 ·
I Can't deny the that when my Powerstoke blows, I will be doing a cummins swap
if I could have bought my 96 with a factory cummins I would have, But its the Dodge trucks that I Dislike so much..

no doubt they're built stronger, And you tend to see alot better MPG in my experience

but I'm still rockin the IH!

#11 ·
Kinda reads like leftist propaganda :poke:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.