Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Sluggish Performance...???

960 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  PowerHungry 
#1 ·
Hey guys..I've been a lurker for years here. I finally bit the bullet and took my truck to BTS for a tranny, 1.0 turbo housing and Casserly Stage 1 Single Shots.

The test drive afterwards showed a HUGE improvement in the shift but, due to air in the HPOP, the motor run funny. After the 300 mile trip home, it is better. Fuel economy is much better. :)

Now, I am noticing a loss of responsiveness and punch that I had when running the stock turbo and injectors with Jody's tunes. The motor is slow to rev and I can't make smoke on any setting. At WOT from a stop, it lags a full second then picks up strong, make 28-30 lbs, then short shifts before reaching a high rpm under full throttle...no smoke on any setting. On shifts, the turbo makes a chsss-chss-ch-ch shuddering sound and sometimes a squawl like a chair being dragged across a wooden floor.

My DPTuner would puff smoke (fuel to spin up the turbo?)and would respond immediately. My current tunes won't rev quicky even in nuetral...feels like stock tuning.

Is this normal with Cale's tunes and a BTS tranny?

BTW, those guys are awesome. Brian runs a great shop. I am just trying to get a feel for what I should expect with my current mods.

Thanks,

bd in tn

See less See more
#2 ·
I would start with a phone call to Cale on this one. From my interpretation of what you posted I think the tuning probably needs some tweaking.

Tom

#3 ·
Thanks Tom. My main goal at BTS was to get my tranny built so I can tow heavy...and I am confident that I now can. Cale also recommended the 1.0 housing and injectors. I was told that the spool up would be a little slower but EGTs would be lower...so is what I am experiencing normal? Sounds like it isn't. Anybody else running the same setup as me?

I'll give Cale a call.

Btw, I saw your huge club banner displayed proudly in Brian's shop.

Thanks,

bd in tn

#4 ·
Like Tom said I would call Cale he should be able to fix your tuning. Jody can tune your DP chip to do what you want with this set up. Why did you change chips?

#5 ·
Hey guys..I've been a lurker for years here. I finally bit the bullet and took my truck to BTS for a tranny, 1.0 turbo housing and Casserly Stage 1 Single Shots.

The test drive afterwards showed a HUGE improvement in the shift but, due to air in the HPOP, the motor run funny. After the 300 mile trip home, it is better. Fuel economy is much better. :)

Now, I am noticing a loss of responsiveness and punch...

...My current tunes won't rev quicky even in nuetral...feels like stock tuning.
This is NOT normal but unfortunately happens form time to time when tuning for singles. If specific tables (either individually or in combination) are modified too much, the truck can become extremely unresponsive. Cale will need to go back in and tweak a few tables for you. After that, you should be good to go.

Hope you get everything resolved soon. I know those Casserly injectors will put a smile on your face one the tuning is cleared up. :D

Take care.

#6 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. It's good to know that some tweaking will fix it.

FYI, I have the older 6-pos chip that tw, dp, and many others used back in '06. It was a DP chip originally and Cale re-burned it with his tunes which have enhancements for the BTS tranny and stage 1 single shots.

Also, FYI..I called DPTuner and .Jody no longer supports the older 6-pos chip and won't burn/flash them anymore.

bd in tn

#7 ·
Jody no longer supports the older 6-pos chip and won't burn/flash them anymore.
That's a disappointment. Heck, we still support chips the red, blue and gold chips we've sold almost 10 years ago. I guess he has his reasons. :(

Anyway, not to impugn Cale's tuning ability or anything (because I know he's super sharp) but if he's got any question or needs any suggestions, I'd be happy to offer him some advice on our experiences with situations like yours. This may help get things going faster.

Also, don't know where in TN you are, but it might be worth giving Jonathan at Bean's a call and maybe setting up some live dyno tuning. You know... squeak the most out of your setup. :D

Take care.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.