Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Fuel Setups

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  farm boy 
#1 ·
Seems to me that there is a lot of discussion on here about how to go about setting up the optimum fuel system, line sizes, pumps, filters, pressure etc.

Can we make some kind of sticky or get those in the know to post up some good info on the right setups for various applications. At present there is a lot of trial and error going on:confused:

For instance;

What do you need for a DD or tow rig, say up to 400HP?
What do you need for a mild street / weekend drag truck, say 400-500HP?
What do you need to go above 500HP? etc etc....

I know a lot of other supporting mods come into play like injectors etc, but if we just stick to fuel supply and filtration setups, i think this will help a lot of us.

#2 ·
That is a good idea, we should also do the same with an engine build sticky, with clearances and all the info you need to put a 7.3 together the right way.

Dave

#4 ·
good ideas, i am going to be building a pulling truck over the winter and a basic blue print for some big power would save me allot of money on breakdown's

#5 ·
I am going to be building my fuel system soon. I was planning 5/8" pickup to a water separator to a fuelab pump. 1/2" out of the pump to a 2 micron filter. 1/2" up to a y, and then 3/8" to the front of the heads. 3/8" return lines off the rear of the heads to a regulator. I was originally going to use the factory return line to the tank, but after seeing a few setups use a 3/8" to the tank, I might go that route. IDK.

#6 ·
A lot will depend on what fuel pump you go with, as certain pumps require a minimum line size feeding them.

Up to 400 horse, you may get away with a stock fuel delivery system, or stock system with a drop in carter replacement pump. We ran this setup over 550 horse beleive it or not, but the odds of that being a repeated success are very slim.

After 400 horse, youll need some kind of upgraded delivery system. i like the fuel lab pumps, even though theyre pricey. They seem to be lasting with the diesel fuel so far.

Airdog has a new unit as well and that could be a very viable option too.

A FASS will also support any hp youll most likely ever make, but some people have issues with longevity.

figure a 1/2 inch tubing to your pump via water seperator, then through a good filter up tot he motor will supply just about any hp any of us will ever need. you can go 5/8 up to the pump if you want to make sure the pump as an easy life as possible. Hope this gives you a few ideas.

#9 ·
OK, thanks this is good information for those of us looking at setting up a new or changing an existing fuel system. Looks like a few options available with regards to pumps, so lets keep it going, what is working and what is not? anyone tried the new Airdog II setup? Also, can you go too big in the fuel line dept?

#7 ·
What seems to be better, feeding the heads from the back, return from front(like it usually is) Or feed heads from the front and return from the back? The only thing I can think of for feeding to the front is that its away from the exhaust? I've seen both ways. Which is better? Can someone explain if there is a difference? I would like to get an idea before i put my new built motor back in. Thanks

#10 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.