Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

HeadStuds New England

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  lubeowner 
#1 ·
Is there anyone in the New England area that has had studs installed? I have gotten 1 quote but wasn't inpressed with the price of almost 4,000. I know what I can expect to spend but maybe more around 2'500 or so? Any Thoughts? thanks.

#3 ·
#4 ·
how did that work out for ya??

Let me know anything you find out Sam. I doubt I will be able to get em done under warranty with 10k left to go.

Not sure where you got the quote but if you want I can see what the Motion Concepts thinks about for a quote. They haven't done one before though, but seem to do solid work.

#9 ·
4k are you serious? hell i would pull your motor redo every seal on it including the headgaskets and put the new arps on for 2k....coarse i am not a shop.. i mean what the hell are these guys charging you for? i would guess1 day to pull the cab or motor witch ever you are gonna do say 1/2 day for the head stud install and headgasket replacement and then 1 day to get it all back together and running... so they are telling you they are gonna charge over a 1000 dollars a day to do it then the other 1000 is for parts and fluids... i mean hell if i made 1000 dollars a day i wouldnt know what to do with my self...

#14 ·
Trust me, you have no idea the can of worms you are opening. Obviously you have not done a 6.0L head stud job, or worked on one for that fact. If you can pull the motor and replace every gasket and seal and stud it for $2K post your address and just about every diesel shop in the country will be sending you 6.0 engines. Just make sure your warranty statement is very clear.

Honestly, your estimate IS high, I would put that job around $3200-3400, providing your oil cooler and egr cooler are serviceable. That includes machine shop time to check the heads out and vacuum testing the oil cooler and pressure testing the egr cooler.

#10 ·
oil coolers cost money, egr deletes cost money, arp studs cost money, headgaskets cost money along with all the other misc parts and fluids and recharges..its not straight labor. If you had a shop you may understand. Go ahead jump on one for 2k, you will be upside down by the time you get done.

#12 ·
thats all fine but here is what i would buy $450 for the studs $150 for the gaskets $200 for the other misilanious gaskets and seals needed for the exuast turbo,water pump or what not,, and ok $100 for the fluids. thats $950 in parts to do a head stud instalation. Now thats means i would charge 1050 dollars in labor. not bad and deffinately not upsidedown.
I realy dont know anything about the 6.0s so i may be way off here but why would you buy a new oil cooler? or block off the egr? except to keep it from going out down the road....but isnt there a way to block it off with out buying a block off kit.

#15 ·
your probly right,,, i havent ever touched a 6.0 i just figured it was just like my 01 7.3 i rebuilt and put studs on.. I gues just another reason i would stay away from owning a 6.0....out of the many reasons i already had now i have another one. i mean if it cost 4000 to do studs what the hell are you keepin it for? hell thats a 1/3 or 1/4 of what the entire truck in perfect condition is worth....:doh:

#16 ·
i got a quote from scott at mas diesel perf and it was 3000 with studs he def. is a cummins guy i get the same feelin when i talk to him but you may want to make sure you are aware of what is included with that 4100 because he might be do the egr cooler delete at the same time i am in northbridge (about 35 mins
) from you and i am going to do my own we are in the cab lifting apparatus engineering stage right now LOL but we have a private shop and do all of our own work if you dont get anywhere we might be able to help you out

#17 ·
Here is what I am charging.

ARP headstuds - $450
head gaskets - $350
Machine heads - $400
coolant - $75
oil change - $55
power steering fluid - $20
Brake fluid - $15
SP trans fluid - $27
8 hours labor @$35 - $280
12 hours labor @$25 - $300

Total = $1972 plus tax

This includes welding both ends of the egr cooler to delete it.

#19 ·
Lube owner thats what im talkin about....that is a "fair price" and your labor rates are a little low. I didnt realize HG's were 350 dollars those are some high dollar Gaskets at 350 they shouldnt ever blow...:hehe:
Even if I doubled my labor rates that would only bring the bill up $580. So $2552. I just get my gaskets from the local dealer, if you can get them cheaper, bring your own.

#18 ·
Lube owner thats what im talkin about....that is a "fair price" and your labor rates are a little low. I didnt realize HG's were 350 dollars those are some high dollar Gaskets at 350 they shouldnt ever blow...:hehe:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.