Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Body lift?

6K views 40 replies 12 participants last post by  Big K 
#1 ·
What are some negative aspects to a body lift?

I got some clearance issues with the new superduty turbo, And don't really feel like pulling out the BIG hammer,
What I had in mind was a 2" body lift so I can fit 35" tires along with not worrying about fitting the 38R down the road etc.

any tips or experiences to share?

Thanks
-patch

#3 ·
BAD-
ZF-5 shifter hits the floorboard, t-case shifter hits the floorboard, fan hits the cowl, ic pipes won't line-up, larger space between the bumpers and body, problems with 5th wheel/gooseneck hitch.

Good-
Lots of room under the hood, room for a Big DP, Taller truck

STROKER

#5 ·
I have a 1.5" lift. IT was a pita because it's a 3" system cut in half. all new bolts were required but it did get a big fat y2K under the hood with AC. I think 2? would be better. There are a few 3" kits that have the HW to reposition the bumpers so the gap is smaller.

PS Buddy did the mods on the body lift to make it work. He can tell you what all is needed.

#8 ·
Well Its not something I was excited about.. Though it seems needed at this point
I plan to shim the bumpers and lengthen the intercooler tubes
But what about the zf-5 shifter and t-case?

How much problem am I going to have there?

Thanks guys..

#9 ·
Based on experience with my 3 inch lift.
The T-case shifter isn't too bad. you will need to raise it 3/4 of an inch by simply loosening the nut and pulling it out 3/4 of an inch. bend the shifter towards the driver 1-2 inches. and finally move the plastic trim forward half an inch.

The transmission shifter is not fun at all!!! the lift will move the shifter back approximately 2-3inches and over to the left about 1inch. (note: with your short shift kit it may not be as bad for you) you will need to cut the floor board so it doesn't hit in first gear. the black boot will need to be trimmed so it will slide up on the thickest part of the shifter. the plastic trim will need to be moved over so it is centered to the shifter. this will leave a hole in your carpet. to fix the hole I used aluminum diamond plate to make a trim peace to go around the plastic trim.

STROKER

#10 ·
Damn, Thanks stroker

being that its a 2inch lift, And I got the shortshift, I'm crossing fingers that I dont have to cut, or have holes in my floor :(

but will indeed post pictures when I'm done For any one who thinks it'll look like Sh!t

#11 ·
Your welcome,

BTW, Where did You get your short shift kit, How much $, and do You like it?

Thanks,
STROKER

#13 ·
I can take some pictures this Sunday. thanks for the info on the Short Shift.

#16 ·
you try fittin a 4" dp on an obs w/o one. not to mention up-pipes are a breeze now. o and did i mention w/ the lift i can have my turbo off in 15-20 min. counting the time to get the tools out.

#17 ·
I love the opinions of some, most whom of which dont have a body lift!

powerstokestang I assume its the OBS, What kine lift does it have?

I honestly don't have an option, It seems with the worn out springs/bushings I'll never fit a 38r in there, Not to mention the SD turbo rubs as is

73lStroker Still waitin on those pics if you got um, whenever ;)

Mahalos

#18 ·
yes the obs. its summit brand. i have an h2e w/ ic. w/ the lift it fits above the y on the motor w/o taking that lose.

#23 ·
I agree It looks a bit goofy, Im hoping that the 2inch isnt as bad..but im also shooting for some 35s which should fill in the gap :\

its either that, or beat the firewall in to the dash:doh:

But the 3inch on the OBS does look a bit extreme ..

Thanks for the pics, any more ?

#26 ·
Well worse comes to worse, is it possible to mod one kit to make it like 1" 1/2 ?

I guess fabbing some twins might be easier too ?! :)

"Ranchhands truck with a 3" body lift."
Is that Just the 3inch body lift? Any body know what size wheels/tires ??

Powerstrokestang same, What wheel/tire combo in the pic ??

#28 ·
"Ranchhands truck with a 3" body lift."
Is that Just the 3inch body lift? Any body know what size wheels/tires ??
No that's a 3" body with a 6" supension I believe. Aggie helped installed it for him. The tires are 40/15.5-20r Baja Claws.

#27 ·
that pic is 33x13.50x16 sts's. of course i use to run 35's before the lift lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.