Changing Glow Plugs? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 6.0L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:34 PM
03-blue-Powerstroke
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Changing Glow Plugs?

I was wondering how hard it is to change glow plugs on a 6.0? I just bought 8 new International ones and want to get them installed when I have the time. Anyone know? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2009, 03:38 PM
KingDiesel
PSN's Most Hated
Member's Gallery

Re: Changing Glow Plugs?

Take off your Valve Covers, when you install get new valve gaskets as well.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:40 PM
03-blue-Powerstroke
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

I heard that you can do it by pulling off the rail thing that goes to each glow plug and fish them out with the magnet. Is it easier to just take off the valve cover?
Old 07-28-2009, 03:41 PM
KingDiesel
PSN's Most Hated
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03-blue-Powerstroke View Post
I heard that you can do it by pulling off the rail thing that goes to each glow plug and fish them out with the magnet. Is it easier to just take off the valve cover?
Yea, because you gotta replace the valve gaskets.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:17 PM
thunderstroke
lets roll
Member's Gallery

No offense king diesel but 6.0 valve cover gaskets are reusable and you dont need to remove them on a 6.0. Just remove the glow plug harness (external below the valve covers) and use a socket and magnet to get the plugs out. Its really quite easy but alot of the time you wreck the glow plug harness as it has become brittle from age and heat.
Might no be a bad idea to have new ones on hand if you can return them incase you wreck them.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:46 PM
KingDiesel
PSN's Most Hated
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstroke View Post
No offense king diesel but 6.0 valve cover gaskets are reusable and you dont need to remove them on a 6.0. Just remove the glow plug harness (external below the valve covers) and use a socket and magnet to get the plugs out. Its really quite easy but alot of the time you wreck the glow plug harness as it has become brittle from age and heat.
Might no be a bad idea to have new ones on hand if you can return them incase you wreck them.
thanks man, I learn something everyday. I gotta remember that next time, I guess I am use to the 7.3L etc
Old 07-28-2009, 05:12 PM
big_stroker
The Fireman
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to big_stroker Send a message via Yahoo to big_stroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDiesel View Post
thanks man, I learn something everyday. I gotta remember that next time, I guess I am use to the 7.3L etc

Ummm you also reuse the ones on a 7.3 also

Dynoed 520hp and 926tq on 5/23/09

Dynoed 516 hp and 1121 tq on 4/24/10
Old 10-07-2009, 06:06 AM
thallanor
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

A little late to the game here, but wanting some more information, if someone would be so kind?

I own a 2005 Ford Excursion with the 6.0L Powerstroke and I'm reading conflicting things when searching both here and on the internet. Am I correct in understanding that very early 6.0L Powerstrokes used a bussbar that needed to be removed, but at the end of 2003, they started using a new harness?

I am rather new to performing this sort of work, but I am patient and it is not my daily driver, so I can take my time. Does anyone know where I could find a photograph of either side of the engine and indicate what I am looking for? I've found photographs of the bussbar, but again suspect that was on the very first 6.0L Powerstrokes. (I could very easily be mistaken!) Also, the photographs were of a yanked engine with almost no accessories installed, so it did not give me a good idea of what and where I should be looking for.

Any advice, I'd appreciate it! I'm needing to plug it in at anything colder than 10C (50F) otherwise it starts so rough it feels like the entire vehicle will rattle itself apart. Plugging it in, it's starting smooth as glass down to -5C (23F) so far. But I dread it when the weather gets colder...
Old 10-07-2009, 10:41 AM
gone6.0
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Diesel Technician Society

Try this it has all the model years, It does look like the first 6.0s have a bus bar.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:31 PM
thallanor
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone6.0 View Post
Diesel Technician Society

Try this it has all the model years, It does look like the first 6.0s have a bus bar.
Thank you! I'm still searching, but this looks to be a great resource! Now to see if I can figure out how to get the new wiring harness off of each plug, and to do it without tearing my hands and arms apart in the process. :)
Old 10-08-2009, 03:06 AM
bismic1
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Tips:

In 2004, the combustion chamber on the piston has been modified (updated bowl design). Due to the design change of the piston, the glow plug has been made shorter by 1.2 mm. If the longer glow plugs are installed into an engine with updated pistons, glow plug to piston contact will result, ending in potential catostrophic engine failure.

Glow Plug Removal Tool - from Ford
glow plug removal - TheDieselGarage.com

If you want to change the glow plugs- there is a small trick to removing the glow plug harness. The harness is located right at the bottom of the aluminum portion of the cylinder head- use a peice of 16 gauge wire to pull out the connector. There is a ring at the bottom of each connector, wrap the wire around it then yank the wire with a pair of pliers. The glow plug is 10mm, just remove and reinstall.

Video w/ a short excerpt on glow plugs at apprx. 6:00 minutes:

Install an inductive amp meter on one of the main glow plug harnesses. You can get up to 200 A at first, but then should stabilize around 35-45 A. Check the other side. Both sides should read the same. If not, check the amps to each individual glow plug to determine which one (or ones) is bad. Each glow plug should draw 10-12 Amps.

mms://multimedia.ford.com/seopts/Tech25_250k.wmv
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A w/ Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
Old 10-08-2009, 11:12 PM
thallanor
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic1 View Post
Tips:

In 2004, the combustion chamber on the piston has been modified (updated bowl design). Due to the design change of the piston, the glow plug has been made shorter by 1.2 mm. If the longer glow plugs are installed into an engine with updated pistons, glow plug to piston contact will result, ending in potential catostrophic engine failure.

If you want to change the glow plugs- there is a small trick to removing the glow plug harness. The harness is located right at the bottom of the aluminum portion of the cylinder head- use a peice of 16 gauge wire to pull out the connector. There is a ring at the bottom of each connector, wrap the wire around it then yank the wire with a pair of pliers. The glow plug is 10mm, just remove and reinstall.

Install an inductive amp meter on one of the main glow plug harnesses. You can get up to 200 A at first, but then should stabilize around 35-45 A. Check the other side. Both sides should read the same. If not, check the amps to each individual glow plug to determine which one (or ones) is bad. Each glow plug should draw 10-12 Amps.

This is more great information. It snowed here last night, but I have been speaking with one of our heavy duty mechanics and hope to get the vehicle into the shop alongside our fire trucks and start working on it the weekend after next. The trick of using the wire loop to pull the harness is going to be a godsend, because I had read about the Ford special tool in the past and was not even sure where to purchase it, apart from the local dealership part counter, where I can imagine the markup that would be charged.

I do plan on going to them for the glow plugs though, as the changes in the different model years make me nervous about accidentally purchasing the wrong ones. I get my parts there at cost due to a deal with the last truck I purchased there, so it works out to be about $15 CAD per glow plug. Not a stellar deal, but better than the $25 they normally charge.

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions. :)
Old 10-09-2009, 12:23 AM
gone6.0
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Try the International Dealer if You have one near.
They are usally close to half the price of Ford.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:55 PM
thallanor
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone6.0 View Post
Try the International Dealer if You have one near.
They are usally close to half the price of Ford.
I ended up purchasing my Motorcraft glow plugs through the local Ford dealership because they gave me a good price, about $14 CAD, or $10 USD. I bought an "as-is" Ford F-350 King Ranch there with the knowledge that there were some things in need of repair, so they gave me a good deal on parts.

I replaced the spark plugs about one month ago and have a quick question: are they supposed to be covered in oil?

Also, that wasn't the source of my no-cold-start. D'oh! I'm suspecting the FICM now and am going to be checking for 48V off of it this weekend. I'm actually hoping it is the FICM because it could get a lot more expensive if it is not.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Tammac
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by thallanor View Post
I replaced the spark plugs about one month ago and have a quick question: are they supposed to be covered in oil?
DUDE, IT IS A DIESEL NO SPARK PLUGS!!! Or IF it does have spark plugs it doesn't have glow plugs!!
Old 12-21-2009, 10:34 PM
thallanor
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammac View Post
DUDE, IT IS A DIESEL NO SPARK PLUGS!!! Or IF it does have spark plugs it doesn't have glow plugs!!
Sorry, I meant glow plugs. I was writing quickly and was tired. I wanted to post while I remembered.

So the question still stands: are the glow plugs supposed to be covered in oil when removed from the vehicle?
Old 12-22-2009, 12:02 AM
bismic1
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by thallanor View Post
So the question still stands: are the glow plugs supposed to be covered in oil when removed from the vehicle?
yes
Old 01-29-2010, 11:43 PM
arriero4x4
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Hi guys,
Is there any trick to remove the passenger side glow plug buss bar on a 2003 6.0 f350? Im having some trouble right now.
here i leave you a picture. I already removed the right inner fender.

thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tip cut.jpg (33.4 KB, 162 views)
Old 07-26-2010, 10:57 PM
Dieseldweller
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
yes
I'm curious where this oil comes from on the glow plugs? This is normal?
Old 11-26-2012, 04:25 PM
maxeyac
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Send a message via Yahoo to maxeyac
Thumbs down Re: Changing Glow Plugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDiesel View Post
You really should keep your suggestion to yourself if you dont know what your talking about.
Telling someone they need to remove valve covers and replace gaskets when neither have a dang thing to do with replacing glow plugs on a 6.0 is assinying.
You could cost him lots of money and time.

YOUR COMMENT REALLY SUCKED!!!
Old 11-26-2012, 04:39 PM
Wheelhop
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Do you realize your commenting on a 3 year old post????????
Old 11-26-2012, 05:52 PM
maxeyac
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Tips:

Is it hard to replace just the harness's?
Old 11-26-2012, 05:56 PM
maxeyac
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

I had a mechanic butcher my wiring harness while replacing glow plugs. The ####### reinstalled the jacked up harness with wires exposed and Im concerned. Should I be worried about them coming loose or shorting out if the boots are not attached around the wires going to the glow plugs?
Thanks for any help...
Old 11-26-2012, 05:57 PM
bismic1
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

It isn't too bad. I wouldn't want exposed wires. Can you not just tape the bad areas?
Old 11-26-2012, 06:00 PM
maxeyac
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelhop View Post
Do you realize your commenting on a 3 year old post????????
No, Im new to this and have no idea what Im doing at this time. Thanks for the info...
Old 11-26-2012, 06:04 PM
maxeyac
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Quote:
It isn't too bad. I wouldn't want exposed wires. Can you not just tape the bad areas?
I dont think tape would hold long term and it would look like crap. Im the type that keeps the engine clean and undercarriage. I want everything to look professional. I also dont feel the connection is as stable if the boots are not snug in the plug cavity.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:27 PM
bismic1
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

I hear ya!!
Old 11-27-2012, 12:12 AM
maxeyac
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

I picked harness for each side from Ford today. Felt like they gave me a fair price. 83.75 for the pair.
If you are self employed just add and deisel repair to to your company name and you are buying wholesale. That was easy.
I dont think it will be that difficult once I remove the tires and possibly fender wells.
What do you guys think???
Old 11-27-2012, 12:17 AM
bismic1
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Removing the fender wells helps. Some people put the wires on them ahead of time so that they are easier to remove if you ever have to.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:38 AM
maxeyac
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

what do you mean "put the wires on them ahead of time" ?
I appreciate your responses....
I think I know what your referring too. The 16 gauge wire to remove the plug harness?
Old 11-27-2012, 12:43 AM
bismic1
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Here is some advice on removing glow plug connectors:

There is a ring at the bottom of each connector. Wrap a piece of 16 gauge wire around the ring and then yank the wire with a pair of pliers.

If you attach the 16 gauge wire ahead of time, it makes removal of the individual plugs easier next time - just a thought.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 356
'94IDITurbo7.3, 00strokey7.3, 03-6.0whistler, 03-blue-Powerstroke, 03StrokerF250, 04 f350, 04 stroker, 04stroker, 06PowerstrokeFX4, 125py, 2000-7.3L, 2006.1f250, 20X, 2stackpete, 4d4life, 5954cc, 6.0DuallyDad, 6.0Laska, 6.0Pwrstroke, 6.0stroken, 6.9turbocharged, 6oh Stroke, 7.3FisherFord, 7.3rattler, 8nout, ab2625, Abbott, Action, ADubDiesel, AJF, akhunter, alwil, amdriven2liv, aquaman, arctic-20v, asatriano, azoldwestforge, b93pgt, babs2972, bad moose, badford350, Barnbuilder, bassrippin365, BBowden73, BDS, bea12, Belmonte, benjiblaze, BigBoy6.0, bigdeck87, BigEasy, Bighorn, BigRedTruck, Bigstick, bigwhiteone, big_stroker, BIODOSE, bismic1, bknight187, black7.3l, blane, blownpickup, Blubaugh24, bluemountianpowerstroke60, bluthndr, blwnmstgt1990, bm1962, BMac, boosted93cobra, Bowpassion, brinson, brownfield, browtine, bsdracing, BUFF, buildit72, Bumpin, CALADASH, Centxdiesel, cfdeng7, cgp182, chopper, ChrisAU, cntryboy17, Co. Neil, Country Cadilac, cporda, crowz, CUMMINS_KILLA99, cutterstroke, Dane1985, dangerpaul, Dave R, DBM, dbs0026, DcMoore999, DCTWINKIEP, deathwishracer, DENALI, dennisuello, despain85, dexleo2, dgreenh, Dieseldweller, DieselExcursionChele, dits145, dking963, dkoril, donalfila, downinmexico, drrock, DSGDB6.0, duece, Dustin F2504x4, DuxHuntin, duxpsd, EatBeef, eddiemuniz71, El-Bandito, elbow_grease, engi041, Ewilly, Extended Power, Ezkieler850, f-150_xl, F-250-Owner, F-25000, f550weld, farmer8, flightmeck, fluent09, Ford3544, ford7.3sd, fordfreak84, fordman2121, fsstcrrs, FTG-05, g8tor38, gator3, gb1911, Glamping, gone6.0, goodoleboy45, GOT_DZL, hag000, halerazor, HankyD, Harley Strokin', haulin99sdp, Hellchef234, hglintner, hogzz, Honda30, hondadiesel, HOOVERBUILT73, horsehauler, hunter scar, id: 5520, injected79, InmatesRunThePlace, IT_Powerstroke_96, Jack Petrie, jackedup6.0, JaxJar, jaybuller, jcrossy, jdc753, jfowl31, JGCF250, jhyder408, JJEEPYJOHN, john-louis, jseasor, jstethem12, justin202, justind, justintimemoto, jweeezy350, jwfrauts, k8mlp, kbhide, Khemosabe, KingDiesel, kirb390fe, kmart164, Komelika, korg70kbc, ksieckmann, ktmrydr686, Leannefs, Lenny K, leoneo01, lilstroke, Logan21SV, Lrdchaos, lubeowner, luckyj, m88tow, maddzack, majorallen, makaveli200369, Marauder, Marvelous Marvin, Matt_P, maxeyac, mcdmn717, mdsurvivor, mhc1977, Michael250, mikeast, missingsc331, mjb71, mnsuperduty, moore20017.3, Motownfire, Mr.Wonderful, mra4x4, MrDeez, MT Pockets, mx185sw, mxned, nastystroke04, natedp, nathan6550, navistar45, navy_psd, Nelly87, Neverdone03, new2deisel, New6.0PSOwner, NGHTRGR, nielsencod, Niwrek, NorCalDieselTech, normhar, nrook, Nutz, oalexie, OBSWIZ, oildigger, onefaststang, orrwhat, PALMETTOLANDSCAPER, pjerrn, Plowboy93, posbronc, Powermoon, POWERSTROKE_GOD, pseagle, pwrhungry, Quack, quick 6.0, RamAirZ, Rbloodhound, rdlewis, rdr99, rdunagan, Red assassin, redarrow325, RedDog, rentstdi, Rob D, Rockk82, rollingthunder, rollin_smoke, ruizhernandeztrust, Rydered, S04X, SamW, sanders, sdborror, SDER1, Secondwind1, Senior, sga6.0l, Shadow, shatski, Shaw, Shef, shmokenpstroke, sho669, Shoopak, silver06, sjohnson0027, SLAMDS10, slickss2437, Smoker05, SmokinBlueOval, sniperonhigh, sonnyy13n, SootRoller, Specializeddieselnw, spindrift, spow1998, squig_2000, srtmodr, SS_Doc, Stampitguy, Steiner, SteveBricks, Stroked95, Stroken03, Stroker67, StrokeThis34, Strokin450, superdutyfarmer, SuperRod, Super_Hauler, swaan, TERRCO, thallanor, THE RED ROCKET, theSLEEPER, thobui, thorguy57, thunderstroke, Timberline, tmanrose2007, TN Allyn, tommyv, toptech, towsurfer, tractorsny, Trouth302, TTStevens, Tweaker727, tyler886, unimog1300, ununited11, UserError, usnrn7, vapstroke, webb06, wetnsloppy4x, Wheelhop, white07psd, whiteyfordww, willholl79, WILLI F-350, william_04_x, wkrpinnick, woodpigs, wyldwest, yamaha1720, yattahey, yeehaw, YZGUYONE25, zdot500, Zray