Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Big Bad Woof........

6K views 43 replies 16 participants last post by  aklim 
#1 ·
I don't know what to say...

Other than, everyone was right...

The BBW turbo is absolutely horrid...

It cured my surge, but at the expense of practically all my low-end power, and some of my high end...

I'm swapping my stock turbo back on... Maybe I can find a good deal on a ported compressor housing and make it last until I can find other options.

:doh::doh::doh::doh:

#2 ·
What exactly are you trying to accomplish, 'cause your plan seems kinda scatter-brained?

#13 ·
Nah... I know almost exactly what I want to do, and what I need. 02BigD let me try his old BBW for free, but it turns out that's not the way i want to go...

I think he just wants something to run descent and get rid of surge until he can get a better/higher HP set up together.
Exactly. The truck runs really awesome, this BBW feels pretty good on the interstate, but it's way too laggy and smokey for the areas I drive and the way I like to drive.

Do that Chinese hybrid if you want cheap power. I still haven't killed mine. It will under no circumstances ever surge.
That is the plan. I've been talking to someone about a T4 mounting kit, just gotta get the money together.

I was wondering if the extra RPM's that you have with an auto would make some difference. It appears not.
Nah... I was hoping so too... It happens. I'm gonna PM you soon. It's not a horrible turbo. But I was hoping it would at least be stronger when it finally spooled.

#5 ·
If you're tight on cash.. the chinese hybrid seems to take a fairly decent beating. Just don't shut her down after getting too hot. I've been hearing rumors that they will start leaking oil after a few heat cycles after getting too hot and shutting it down too soon.

Also, you keep saying 38r is awesome in other threads.. and that's wha tI thought you had??? wtf. I'm lost.

#42 ·
Anything labeled "BBW" usually ends with disappointment.
Some people like them. I think it stands for Big Beautiful Woman. LOL

#14 ·
I had no problem with this turbo (hybrid 45) with the auto and stock injectors. It was great with the hybrids and auto. There is little difference in spool time from the stocker if you can believe that and boost is almost the same, just with half the backpressure.

With a standard, there is a huge difference in spool time as you lose all boost between gears and have to relight after every damn gear.

#16 ·
:whs: the SLEEPER has a turbo that I purchased (before I knew better) and had taken off the truck last spring. Had the turbo sitting around the shop and through conversation, sent it to Jeret to let him get a chance to test it.

The turbo ended all surge in my appplication, stock sticks with a canned tuner, but was very laggy. I was hoping that it would have better qualities in front of an automatic, for the exact reasons you stated moore20017.3. It's dissapointing that it appears not to be the case.

#18 ·
I know a 38R would be the way to go RIGHT NOW... But with the T4 mount and maybe the chinese GT45, I would be able to make as good or more power than with the 38R, and I wouldn't have to re-buy the mount when it came time.

If I buy the 38R, I will be spending that money, and then have to go back and buy a mount kit and a turbo next time. I'm shooting for 500+, but really would like to have around 600 in the end.

I don't feel like carrying around 3 bottles of nitrous either... :poke:

#21 ·
#23 ·
You got to buy the horse before you can haul the cart. LOL LOL I see what you are doing. Hope you find what you are looking for.

#24 ·
I don't think I want to go with an H2E... For one, I don't want to be stuck with a T4i mount, and I know that a modded H2E would be nice, but I don't feel like it will be enough in the end...

I HATE doing stuff twice. And I don't want to buy a big turbo just to have to buy another. I feel like a 42R will be my perfect turbo when I'm ready, and I won't have to buy anything twice. .

#25 ·
So why not get injectors first, then get a 42 when you save enough $$$?

#27 ·
Well...

My stocker can barely handle stock injectors... I don't want to throw MORE fuel at it until I can get something ironed out as far as air. I'd hate to buy injectors and then have to sit on my hands while I saved the $3000 plus for a 42 and mount kit.

I'd rather run a $400 turbo with a nice mounting kit and be able to USE my injectors when I finally get them, and then get a 42R and REALLY use all of my fuel.

You see what I'm saying?

#26 ·
:whs: Thats what im going to do. Injectors are my next BIG step. I think Matt can make it where the stocker will handle it for a while. (stocker w/ ported compressor housing, 1.0 turbine housing). When I get ready for bigger turbo/forged rods:mad: he can crank it up.

#32 ·
FYI...

T-4 to T-4i all you have to do is Egg out the holes on your exhaust housing. The ports and all are the same size...

O and Modded H2e IMHO!

#33 ·
My modded h2e ran very well with stock injectors. It runs great with my new injectors. The calculator has me in the upper 400's now without big oil and fuel system mods. Coming soon. ANd very streetable. I think you are underestimating the potential off a modded h2e. I am pretty sure there are several tuners tha would be gald to tune a modded h2e to 600 hp.

#39 ·
#40 ·
Me too. I think some of it may be a fueling problem related to ICP... Yesterday night I was driving home, and the turbo was actually doing pretty decent. I did a long pull and it ran awesome and pulled really hard up top without hardly a haze like I usually have with my stock turbo. After that pull I had a CEL, so I've gotta check that code.

I pulled the ICP plug yesterday and there was a good bit of oil in it... And the truck runs nicely sporadically... So now I've gotta get an ICP sensor. But the turbo is still smokey and laggy down low...

#41 ·
Replied Via PM...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.