Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

How to remove square 5/8 high pressure oil rail plug, can't find tool.

19K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Arisley 
#1 ·
I hunted and pecked on the internet and tried my local auto parts store, but no luck. I am not sure exactly what to call the tool. It looks like a square female plug and I need a male square socket. Thank you.

#3 ·
are you talking about the big round HPOil plugs at each end of the heads?

If so.... 1/2" drive pneumatic impact gun. Make sure it's in reverse and pull the trigger.

#4 ·
I beleive so. I thougth the size was 5/8, but maybe the 1/2 drive will fit. I am going to try to drain the oil in the rail to do an injector change. Thanks.

#5 ·
Don't take those big oil plugs out to drain the oil for an injector change!

When you take the valve covers off, you'll see these little silver metal plugs that either take an allen head key or a torx bit. Those are the ones that you want to remove to drain the oil from the HPOil rail. Don't mess with the big round ones. I'll try to find a picture of the plugs you want to take out to drain the oil. Stand by.

If you look directly between the the first two injector holes coming from the left side you'll see some round dotted casting marks in the head. Directly above that is a small round steel plug that you want to remove to drain the oil when swapping injectors.

#7 ·
Thanks for the pic, I see the plug. I will look at the instructions I got again, but I thought it said to remove the ones under the cover and the big one on the outside to vent air in and let the rail drain.

#8 ·
Forget what the instructions say, don't pull that big plug at the end of the head.

#9 ·
uhh...

you have 4 plugs on the TOP of the head...one happens to have the braided HPOP line to that head.

pull the rear most plug under the valvecover...and one of the bronze colored plugs that will require a 5/8" wrench...not the BIG plugs on the end of the heads.

#10 ·
OOPS, this is why I type before I pull out the tools. I misread the instructions. Thanks guys. BTW, anyway to mark those plugs on the picture that PSDFAN99 posted? Part of the problem is that I can't go outside and look at the truck, I won't be at that location until I get to it over the weekend. So, all the forum research I can do before that will help. Thanks.

#12 ·
That was a HUGE help. Thanks.

#13 ·
I would like to clarify one more thing about these plugs. In my instructions it says to "give them a sharp blow with a hammer and a punch to help break them loose". This is to avoid stripping them, which appears to happen. Can someone clarify this for me. I am thinking that I would position the punch so that when I hit it it turns the plug counterclockwise to loosen. Is this the idea? I feel pretty good about the rest of the procedure, but don't want to screw these plugs up. Thanks.

#14 ·
IMHO... Just pull the injectors. Pull the rear one first, let everything drain into that hole. Then pull the rest. Install your injectors, remove the glow plugs, hand crank a time or two... bump the starter a few times, then crank for about 5-8 seconds... reinstall the glow plugs and go on your marry way.

Just a note... throw the valve covers on so as not to have oil all over your shop...

#15 ·
I am only replacing #8, but I don't want to screw this up, so I was pretty much going to go the anal route and drain it with the plug.

#16 ·
BTW, I am talking about the 1/8 allen plugs under the valve cover and not the 5/8 ones on the side of the rail that I was originally talking about in this thread.

#18 ·
Thanks, I understand that it is the actual hex that will strip. What I don't get is how you actually position the punch. Am I positioning the punch on the side of the plug and hit it in a way to turn it counterclockwise and try to break it loose or is am I missing the concept? Thanks.

#19 ·
Nope smack the thing head on it does 2 things one it will help break the seal/torque on the fastener 2nd) it will smoosh the metal back into shape where you can use the 1/8 allen wrench .

#20 ·
Ahhh ok, I was thinking the punch would be like a center with the sharp point center. We must be talking about just a bar or something like that. So, you use the punch because you can't get the hammer in there eh?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.