Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

programming.........need to figure this out

825 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  blamedachevy 
#1 ·
Ok...... First off I would like to say....this place is awesome! you guys have totally already helped me a ton! so thanks.....
umm maybe some of you saw my introduction thread where we talked about programming.
1. so why is edge so bad? im already probably not going to go with them....but for the price and being able to check codes (remember im on a 17 year olds budget....and really dont plan on more than basic mods...like i doubt i will even get that far, but wouldnt mnid getting a nicer HPOP or fuel set up...and i dont currently sled pull or race)
2. ok so what one of these awesome techies can give me a 4-6 position tune with a high idle, stock, economy, fast-economy/tow/offroad, show off w/out blowin up stuff, and a smoke out a civic setting? for the lowest price without sacrificing quality? oh and yes im at 4800 fas.....and my towing range is between 2k-6k regularly and occasionally a little more but never more than 10k.
3. what other tuning options do I have?

#2 ·
First, I want to make sure that there is a clear distinction between the Evolution and the Juice/Attitude. They are each different in their approach to how power output is handled and both have their good and bad points.

I have a problem when people say "Edge Sucks" and lump all of Edge's products in that that category when they have actually had problems with a Juice/Attitude, not an Evolution. The Juice/Attitude for the 7.3L doesn't have the same precision control over the transmission functions that the Evolution does and that can truthfully lead to transmission problems down the road.

A lot of people on the forums give the Evolution a bad rap, but for thousands of people it has been a reliable means of improving performance. And I'm not just saying that because I helped design it and did all the tuning for it. Edge has sold over 20,000 Evolutions since it was released in 2004 and while I'm sure there have been performance related issues and even an occasional transmission failure, these are relatively few compared to the number of units sold. In fact, I've not seen anything to indicate any greater number of failures with programming than would have occurred without programming.

With that said, the biggest issue with running an Evo on an OBS truck is the increasing problem of timing drift in the communications. Most trucks will never have a problem but from time to time a PCM will no longer be able to maintain a steady processor clock speed and the communications speed will no longer remain stable. This can result in a failed programming session and leave the PCM in an unrecoverable state. There is not way to test for this and it's simply the (bad) luck of the draw. Your other option is to go with a multi-position chip but you lose the scan-tool capability.

Also, keep in mind that if you do decide to go with an Evolution, we can provide the same custom tuning on those units that you can get on a chip.

I hope this helps.

#3 ·
yeah dude i totally wanted your job for like ever!!!!!! yeah and with the price Idk......your guys customer service is fabulous.....
AND I KNOW THAT ALL THESE CUSTOM GUYS ARE AMAZING GUYS TOO!.....but my best friend lives ten min from edge.....and if I had my timing checked would that tell me if i should risk it?

#4 ·
As I said, there's no real way to check if there's a problem. Either it works or it doesn't. I've only seen a handful of trucks actually have the problem but in those cases PCM replacement was the only solution. After that, they worked fine. Fortunately, the PCMs are pretty cheap nowadays so if replacement is necessary they're not too bad. Just inconvenient to have to have it shipped to you and be down for a day or two.

Man, you're kind of out there aren't you? I thought Tooele was a bad drive from Ogden! :D I can't complain about the job. Where else can you spend all day on a dyno playing with trucks and get paid to do it? I do miss it but I don't miss the "corporate" aspect of working for a company like that. Meetings, paperwork, more meetings...

Let me know if we can help.

#6 ·
thats what im looking into....its what i want cuz i dont have the cash to have a downed truck towed fifty miles for diagnostic....wasted diag or not.....if i can figure out whats wrong and fix it.......I dang sure would rather do that with my location, and i have access to lifts and a shop, and a few good mechanics around my town (as in like they used to be and are my friends)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.