Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

so does everyone run a tymar?

6K views 46 replies 21 participants last post by  mwalsh9152 
#1 ·
Like i actually do plan on doing a tymar cuz I am on a workin 17 year olds budget and want good filtration to take care of my baby cuz utah desert dust is an everyday part of life for it. But I would really like for someone to chime in that actually bought an intake from somewhere just to compare feelings about them.
My truck is stock and still smokes a fair amount so I know for full efficiency I need to get that dang petrified flattened elephant truck off my turbo and get a downpipe and delete the Cat and at least do a tymar.....but if buying an afe will get me better flow and filtration then I will go that route, but if a tymar truly is the best of the best then I will do that instead, and would like (if possible) a link to some of the bigger threads about them on here. thanks!

#3 ·
The TYMAR style is good, I have it on my DD.

On my Red truck I used to run a large AFE filter and basically the rest of the TYMAR setup. I run a huge S&B filter now that's 5" from the filter to the turbo inlet.

The TYMAR style will work fine, unless you need alot more airflow for some of the bigger turbos.

Dave

#4 ·
ok thanks
yeah I have no plans for more than 245-310 at the flywheel......let alone the rear wheels lol my mod plans are the basic breathability mods, tuning, and a shift kit......if i get an insanely good job or something soon then things might be a lil more extreme but whatever....lol thanks

#6 ·
I run the AFE ProGard-7 most of the year and the Tymar filter in the late fall and winter months due to hunting season and the road salts(dust). There is a noticable difference in turbo noise between the two.

#9 ·
#10 ·
Nothing has been proved to out flow or out clean the Orginal Tymar Donaldson Hydroscopic filter..Can't say if its louder than all others but you Will hear the turbo!

I'm a Tymar dealer, PM me if I can help.

Cary

#11 ·
The AFE is way louder...if you like the turbo spool whine as I do!

#12 ·
Well im way way way into turbo whistle so idk.....thats temping...any other data on the whistle factor?

#14 ·
hmm makes sense...better spooling for sure

#15 ·
Don't know what the flow numbers are between the AFE and the Tymar. And I've heard nothing negative about either. I just know that rammed in road salt dust is hell to get out(of the AFE) hence the reason the tymar is better(for me) during that time.

#16 ·
yeah i know if i got an oiled precharged filter I would be cleanbing it constantly for the extremely fine dust around here that i drive through heavily weekle, and then im in utah so lots of snow which means lots of sand and salt so......i believe tymar it is....and if i dont get enough turrbo noise with my tymar and exhaust mods ill know somethin else is up and the small difference between that and an afe wont be enough to change that.....thanks guys tymar it is.....what is the filter number again? and where do i get a pre-filter for it?

#18 ·
The pre-filter keeps the filter cleaner longer just so you don't have to replace them as often.

Blamed,

I sell filter socks for the 6637(TYMAR) style fitler. We also have them for the AFE Stage II and some S&B Filters.

Paul

#25 ·
If you really want to hear the turbo scream use stage 2's..with a stocker.
:whs: My stocker was way louder when I added Stage 2's. My H2E is much much quieter though.

Justin

#22 ·
^^^^ yeah like i can afford that lol....

ok so one dude says *085011 and one says 6637? which is standard? lol

thanks everybody

#24 ·
ok awesome thanks

#28 ·
k cool thanks...ill look for donaldson cuz...i live in utah...self expanatory lol

#34 ·
Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know where I can find the steel pipe to make one? Biggest anyone has around here is 3 inch. I'm using PVC pipe right now for mine.

#39 ·
I bought mine (4" exhaust union, cut in half) at NAPA when I did mine in August of 01. I only used half, still have half if you want it. Mine is a straight piece, a 45 degree bend fits nicer on the fender well. Click on link in my signature to see what I did and what it took to do it.

Dave / Believer45

#38 ·
K&Ns suck on a diesel ...... Esp that pos fipk2 !! Good luck with that dusted motor ;)

I have seen the "quality" K&N at work on a Dmax lets just say the plastic tube was not liking life and was letting in a ton of unfiltered air.

OH yeah to the OP there is also a baldwin filter I cannot think of the number right now but I have used it for a couple years now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.