Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

not a typical tuner question

2K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  SeeYa 
#1 ·
i have a 99 stroker with a ZF 6 speed and a DP tuner. i really like the tuner but its always been a bit touchy and smokey. and i'd like to have the chance to get live tuned without driving 18 hours.

So my question is, is there another tuner that someone would suggest that mabey could do a little better with a manual and comes to the chicagoland area so i could get live tuned.

Thanks
Jay

#2 ·
I've got a 6spd. and just sent my chip Matt @ Gearhead and I am completely happy with it.

#4 ·
thanks for the quick response. now don't get me wrong i love my DP. it's just that i've heard that there are other tuners that seem to be known for there manual tuning (just like dp is known for being the best on autos). long story short i'm just keeping my options open.

#5 ·
Jody has great customer service. Give him a call or shoot him an e-mail telling him what you want. Give him a chance to work for you and I'm sure you'll be happy. Other option is to spend even more money on another chip/programer. Ultimately the choice is yours. Maybe somebody that's delt with other tuners with chime in and give you their opinions. Also get enough guys in your area to get live tuned and Jody will come to you. But like I said give him a call.

#17 ·
Thanks you and it is good to hear that people appreciate our customer service. We strive to service the customers needs and to have prompt delivery of product that they order. I just get frustrated when guys never call and say anything about issues to me and then hear later that they are not satisfied. Every person likes things different and that is why we have the 3 different versions of M/T tunes. Some guys hate the sensitive throttle and some love it. The ONLY difference between the 3 versions of tunes is the ICP table. For our motors oil plays a big part and if it did not then why do you see so many different oil pump kits for sale and more being developed.

Jody signed in as Diane.

#7 ·
PHP!!!!! I can't think of what I would have him change if he live tuned it. Absolutely stock like linear pedal with more power. Much easier to drive my 6spd with Bill's tunes. Smooth as butter, you can't go wrong.

#8 ·
Your chip has the ICP jacked up. Not a "bad" thing but it's not something I like. I like to be able to feel the truck & when I want WOT I can just push it to the floor. When I had Aggie do my chip we discussed the fuel/timing/ICP & he left the ICP alone. So the pedal feels like a stock factory pedal. I can drive the hot tunes on a wet day. Before with the ICP jacked up it would bark the tires with 1/3 throttle from a stop. I can only imagine how much fun that would be with a manual.

Call your tuner & tell him that you want the chip reburned but to leave the ICP alone then try driving it. I think you'll be much happier.

#10 ·
I see this issue quite frequently and folks often assume that the aggressive throttle is the result of the ICP being jacked up, but I can pretty much promise you this is not the case. For obvious reasons I won't get into details about anyone else's tuning but there are specific tables that are notably different between the automatics and the manuals and must be tuned differently in order to maintain the proper pedal to power transfer. ICP isn't one of them.

Talk to your tuner and they should be able to get the issue straightened out for you. If not, there are several other tuners that can resolve the problem for you.

Take care.

#9 ·
yeh,Jody loves to turn his icp up.I can't believe how much quieter my truck is now that I got rid of his chip.Not to mention the touchy pedal.

#11 ·
thanks for all the input. i guess i'll call jody and see what i can figure out

#14 ·
I am not arguing with what you have posted. Disagreeing with it? Yes.

Jody and I have worked side by side for 5 years now. I do know many things about how he tunes.

If you don't know how someone does something, you don't know. No problem. I was only making sure our customers did.

#19 ·
I never tried it but what kind of effects did the 10k and other various resistor mod have upon the sensativity of the throttle? I would take it that is pretty similar to making a change to the ICP table.

Tom

#21 ·
Like Bill said,

ICP can make a truck seem touchier, but it is not directly related to throttle response. there are tables that deal with that, and other tables that dont but can effect "throttle sensitivity" with certain changes. Through various methods i like the tune to be setup with a very linear thottle, half pedal is half power, full pedal is full power.

Having a truck that feels to "take off on its own" makes it hectic to tune the transmission, and in a 6 liter truck itll flat out destroy a transmission.

to each their own, things can be setup many different ways. We have customers that love their peddle as touchy as can be, and some that want it very very lazy. speak with your tuner and if theyre competent, they can make this fix for you.

#23 ·
thanks for your guys (and gals) input. i just wan't to get one thing straight and that is that there has never been a time when i was not completly happy with my tuner i was just wondering.
and for Tom, i used to have 10k/3.9k resistors hooked up to a switch in my truck and let me tell you if you can drive in first gear with the 3.9k on i will shake your hand

thanks again
Jay

#24 ·
thanks for your guys (and gals) input. i just wan't to get one thing straight and that is that there has never been a time when i was not completly happy with my tuner i was just wondering.
and for Tom, i used to have 10k/3.9k resistors hooked up to a switch in my truck and let me tell you if you can drive in first gear with the 3.9k on i will shake your hand

thanks again
Jay
Thanks Jay!! Glad to hear you are happy.

If you do want your tunes tweaked send your chip back and Jody will be glad to adjust the tunes for you.

Your experience with the 10k/3.9 resitor mod confirms that ICP does play a "role" in throttle sensitivity. It's one part of many tuning parameters that can.

Diane

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.