Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Any one Seen the D max Twin setup using the VGT..Can u do this on the 6.0?

5K views 34 replies 15 participants last post by  fuekear 
#1 ·
Is any one have twins and using the stock vgt or can it be done with the ford turbo? I seen the dmax kit using the stock vgt.....

#2 ·
I believe that Danny is using an 03' turbo with his Empire set up.

#5 ·
I kinda figured something wouldnt work right since no one is really using the stocker...what two turbos are good to use with out breaking the bank to hard?
What do u guys think of the elite vgt ss or the industrial injection 6.0 turbo then something big

#7 ·
Ya what if i just run the vgt you have for sale and say some 185cc elite stage 2s could i still tow....i tow light under 5k pounds

#8 ·
i have wondered why this hasnt been done, the 6.7 cummins has a set of twins out for it with a stock vgt, dirty pads use it sometimes, what if you ran and external waste gate to control drive pressures?

IMO get away from the vgt as well, havent heard great things about modded vgt's

#11 ·
THe vgt on a 6.0 is controlled basicly by drive pressure, so you have to have some drive pressure to make the vanes open up all the way. Dont know enough about it, and there has to be a reason why its not a popular setup.

Next question, how does a stock vgt compare from a 6.4 to a 6.0? I know the vanes are controlled differently but just for compareson sake.

#12 ·
IMO, a procharger setup is different than a compound turbo setup. I think the street procharger would do just fine with stock or even better with an 03 based VGT because of it's bigger exhaust side but you don't need VGT with with the instant boost that comes with the procharger.

#15 ·
Ok so here is a thought, since the drive pressure is too high for the vgt as the high pressure turbo, what if you took the up pipes, routed them to a bigger turbo, ran the exhaust from the new turbo to the stock vgt, should help with drive pressure should have good spool up, and a modded intake wheel and housing should provide enought flow... right???

edit: actually drive pressure will probably be uneffected because the ristriction in the exhaust is going to be the same:doh:

#17 ·
The dmax compound turbo setups with a stock turbo have drive pressure problems to say the least. I dont recomend a compound turbo kit with a stock turbo.

As far as the procharger goes, for a lot easier tuning a gt40r would be a very nice setup. It works with the stock one, but can benifit from something thats not vgt.

#18 ·
i'm not understanding why drive pressure is an issue if it had an external wastegate. On the cummins we could run over 100psi into the stock charger that would grenade at over 35psi, but since it was wastegated to only see 25psi of that 100psi it had no drive pressure issues. If you use the stock 6.0 charger and a tial wastegate the stock turbo should have no more drive pressure than it did stock

#33 ·
I thought i read somewhere that the 03 6.0's vgt was controled by the mass air not the ebp sensor. or maybe it was after that flash that took the ebp out of the mix. if that is the case an external waste gate would work just fine. I was thinking a hobbs switch hooked to the vgt that opened the vanes at a certain psi would lower the drive pressure, because when I would turn the vgt off (on a switch) my drive pressure would drop around 10-20 psi, but it might of been my turbo crapping out on me. which it finally did. I have an s475 sitting in my house that was going to go on as the low pressure turbo, but now i have to rebuild vgt. I am now thinking i could make the turbine side flow more with a gt40 size turbine and not change the compressor side. maybe it would spool faster, flow more on the exhaust side and then the s475 would take over from there. would that work or would the smaller compressor wheel hurt flow for the big one. also the upgradded vgt's surging, wouldn't compounding on those fix that or am thinking backwards.

#34 ·
also the upgradded vgt's surging, wouldn't compounding on those fix that or am thinking backwards.

This makes sense to me as well, whether its right or not is a different thing. IIRC surging is caused by a turbo putting out too much air at low RPM, actually I thought I knew until I started thinking now I am not so sure. Where's Charles, he will know? It made sense at first, but now I am not so sure, wouldn't you end up compounding the problem. (no pun intended:doh:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.