Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

7.3 problems with Ultra Low Sulfur fuel?

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  countryboyrob 
#1 ·
i'm in the market for a 7.3 PSD and have found several great trucks, but i've also heard a lot of different things about how the ULSD isn't good for the 7.3s. i'm just wondering what kind of problems you guys have ran into with your 7.3s running on this new crap fuel. i've heard from several diff. people (one being an International mechanic) that i can expect to replace seals, gaskets, and fuel injectors and that the truck will leak fuel until i do so. not to mention, it'll eventually lead to worse damage beyond that, such as blow-by and even scorching cylinder walls because ULSD lubes less. looking for any and all input. also, somewhat new to the site, and since i'm not quite sure about where to post, i'm going to put it in a few places. thanks in advance guys.

#6 ·
:whs:

Make sure you use TCW III oil. It is ashless and burns without leaving deposits.

My 7.3 seems to like the stuff. It seems to run a little better and quieter.

There has been a lot of discussion as to whether ULSD harms earlier (i.e. 7.3) engine components or not. Some say yea, others say nay. But putting 2 stroke TCWIII in the mix doesn't hurt anything. A gallon jug at Walmart costs less than $10 and will last for a good 4 fill-ups. So whatcha got to loose?

#9 ·
I use 1 oz. TCWIII per 1 gallon of ULSD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.