Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Boost issues

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  kbnord 
#1 ·
The truck is an Early 99, When I floor it from a dead stop it is a dog and just pours black smoke until it his about 10psi then the power hits like a light switch. I have replaced the IPR,ICP, EBPS, and the EBPS tube. There are no check engine lights, no codes and I have checked for boost leaks there are none. The up pipes are not leaking either. Any help would be great, Thanks.

#3 ·
converter is what i think also, does it do the same thing around 40 when your not making boost when you step on it?

#6 ·
I just went and did the 40mph test and it was the same. It probably took 3 seconds to hit ten psi and from ten to twenty took about a half of a second. I havent had the time to do a buzz test, could this be an injector issue? Please help the truck is no fun to drive like this!!!!!!!

#7 ·
Do the RPM's jump from a stop?
So, what i'm asking is, if you nail it from a stop, after, say, 1 second, where are the rpms?

#8 ·
Well I just went out and drove it and after a second or so the rpm was at about 1200-1300.

#10 ·
that doesn't seem right to me. my engine immediately jumps to 1400-1500 upon application of heavy throttle.

this would support the TC theory, No?

#11 ·
I would say TC or also before I tuned in a different wastegate it would dog like that also. So you might want to look into that also

#12 ·
The truck has 160K on it but the BTS tranny has only about 10K on it. It never started doing it up until about a month ago and one day it was kind of feeling weird then the next day it was doing this. It doesn't feel as if it is getting worse but the again I don't see how it can get worse. Any definate TC test I can do to be sure that is the problem? One more thing does the PCM tell the TC to lock up? Does that seem like what is happening it isn't locking up, or is the TC trashed? thanks

#13 ·
Yes, the PCM gives the command to lockup. if it's not revving upon takeoff, then you may have a TC issue. if you have a BTS, Call them, i'm sure they'd be more than happy to help you out.

#14 ·
Yep called them, it is going is on august 7th. Thanks for the help guys.

#15 ·
you can always lock up the t/c with a elec switch they have the diagram on swamps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.