Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

dp tuner vs. bill's php fu?????

22K views 81 replies 42 participants last post by  Tom S 
#1 ·
i know this can be a touchy subject comparing these two but i hate my super chips and want a flip chip. i need your input on these two chips. what are the pros and cons of both? i know the f6 holds like 16 tunes where as the fu only holds 6 but they are both upgradable to new tunes right?
what do you guys think?
thanks

#3 ·
Do you really think you need and will use 16 tunes?

#5 ·
well see thats the thing. i look through all the choices and they all look so good to me haha. how difficult is it to dump the tunes and download new ones?

#4 ·
I have a DP and you can upgrade online with the F6. I like it but there are other good tuners out there that may cost less. Live tuning would be best.

#7 ·
I have a DP and love it the trans controls are great and the decell tune is the best thing ever!!!

#9 ·
Just because it will hold 16 doesn't mean you need to load it to max.

#10 ·
Personally I like the old school knob better then the F5. (I've owned both)

The other nice thing about having a TS style chip is that so many diffrent people can reburn it if you want to try someone elses tunes.

#11 ·
There's a chart of people's results on here somewhere, or at least there used to be. Might wanna check that out.

#12 ·
i recomend the PHP for his experience with tuning 7.3s...his tunes are easy on your drivetrain but still got the balls you need. Also the tunes i got for my 2001 7.3 are sweet top notch and they will treat you right...not sayin dp wont cause i dont know never ran any thing of his...But either way i wouldnt do either i would just get it live tuned by PHP and be done with it....

#13 ·
at one time i believe dp was working on a retro rotary knob for the die hard folks..

can't really go wrong with either both are solid tuners, as are a few others.

as far as 16 tunes, i don't want to pay for that many but i can think of more then 6 i like as well

#20 ·
They do have a knob style switch now too.

#16 ·
I've had Super Chips, Edge Evolution, generic TS chip, Tony Wildman TS reburn, DP-Tuner, and now Swamps Diesel TS reburn....

DP-Tuner and Swamps definitely run the best out of them all IMO, and Jody from DP and Jon and Dave from Swamps are awesome to work with.

#24 ·
A very nice advantage with the F6 is you do not need to remove your chip to change or upgrade tunes. You simply plug your computer in using DP software and it will query the chip and tell you what tune is in what switch location. From there you can add, remove or change the order. I can not tell you how nice it is to add or remove a tune in less than five minutes. No sending the chip back for an upgrade or even having to remove each time if you own a burner, which I had.

Not sure how the FU chip and software is set up, I am sure it will be a time saver as well.

#75 ·
Also I think Jody is working on the "Try before you buy" option where you can try out the tune for 10 cycles before it gets locked

#76 ·
Not very hard but unless you have a burner, you have to send it back

#29 ·
What do you mean drop the brake? I can pull my chip in about 10 seconds.

However, being able to attach a cord instead of crawling around under the dash is an advantage, not to mention the less you handle a chip, the less chance there is of damaging it.

If DP would make a user tunable software and chip to go with that setup it would be perfect. Something along the lines of PHP with base tunes that could be manipulated or just write your own tunes.

#31 ·
No, it really is not hard to pull a chip and put it on a burner. However when you consider the cost of the burner vs the additional cost of the F6 it was close enough to opted for the F6. Personally I do not enjoy having to pull the chip and would rather just plug in a cable. I also may have been making it harder on myself as well, I thought that the chip needed to be secured to the pcm with cloth tape after each installation to prevent it from dislodging. Therefore I was pulling the pcm each time, not to mention you may have to re-tin the pcm board connector if it becomes worn due to installing and removing the chip constantly.

This is why it is nice to have choices, what is important to me may not be to others, I am thankful I live in America.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.