Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Picked my heads up yesterday

5K views 50 replies 23 participants last post by  CanadianRedneck 
#1 ·
Boy, do they look good :evil I have to give credit where it's do though, Aggie and Smokinstroker recommended using Duffin Engine Service in San Antonio. They turned out to be some pretty good ol' boys up there at Duffin's and they'll be doing the rest of the engine's machine work for me once I'm ready. Right now I'm trying to figure something else out before proceeding. But it won't be long now :evil

See less See more
#5 ·
Nope, no port work. I cannot justify port work for a daily driver/weekend fun truck. Now if I was building a race truck I'd have opted for it. My heads got a valve job while they were getting worked over with new bronze guides and stuff :D

not gonna show us the fire deck huh? anything special under there? :poke:
looks nice and clean... what's your project motor going in?
I cannot get a good pic of the fire deck for some reason :shrug: I think it's time for a new camera. It was good back when I bought it, now my COOLPIX 5600 5.1 MP camera is a dinosaur :doh: The engine is going into my 06 HD Edition DD. I decided to build a project engine instead of putting my truck down to rebuild that engine. Once the project engine is complete it'll go in and the current engine in my truck which has a little over 25,000mi on it will come out. (absolutely nothing wrong w/it) Not sure if I'm going to sell the take out engine or rebuild it to go back into the truck so that the original engine ends back up in it :shrug: I guess either way I'll either have a stock engine for sale or a modified one later down the road.

I spy the coolant return lines
Yep, the coolant return lines are going in. Those seem like cheap insurance.

#4 ·
I spy the coolant return lines

#18 ·
#7 ·
What size are those coolant fittings??

#8 ·
#10 ·
Good eye Tyler :hehe: I was starting to wonder if anyone would notice them lol :doh:

what springs did you end up running
Majic springs that come from deep in the wooded, rainy regions of Ireland, from a small village where everyone in the village is a midget. LOL :poke: :hehe:

#12 ·
Well I only know of one shop that offers upgraded beehive valve springs...unless someone knows something I don't (not very difficult BTW...lol)

#14 ·
I never understood why it is so important to safe guard your modifications and who supplied them. Unless you're running in competitive pulling or racing, there shouldn't be a need to guard your sh!t like it's from Area 51...
That is unless you just want to because it's your chit and you can :evil
I'm extremely glad that you feel that way. But what you do not realize is that while you were posting your assumptions above, Chris (smokinstroker) already had a pm that I sent him @ 6:22pm giving him the info that he ask. Now while you ASSumed one thing you actually posted your assumption 2 hours and 49 minutes after he got the info in the pm and 2 hours and 6 minutes after Tyler said that they were beehive springs and only one place sells them. Now then, the rest of my build is closely guarded and it's not because I'm joining competitive pulling or anything it's because I want it that way ;) I cannot see why someone would want to spill their guts to everyone about their build before it's done personally. Once it's done and I have a couple of passes at the track to verify what I think will be the results, what the combination has done, and after I spank Allen (aljay) in the race we have had scheduled since he started building his new engine :)D) I may, if I feel like it, tell everyone about my set up. But you've really gotten it wrong if you think a person has to brag every detail about their build- why would you want everyone to know everything before the engine is even done :shrug: Some people go for functionality not just to brag about every part we buy to put into it. Now all that was just my honest opinion- take it like a grain of salt because it wasn't to start an argument, it's just the way I feel.

#17 ·
What is the point of the coolant return line? I'm sure they have a certain flow designed through the head, does it just provide a higher flow return (at the same point as the stock return) to increase overall flow? If its at a different point than the stock return it could cause poor flow elsewhere.

#22 ·
I got stock valve springs still. Tyler has Elite's bad a$$ heads and the springs look the same. Tylers heads are ported heavy duty valve springs hardened valve seats. They did a nice job on them.

#26 ·
There's no reason that would help with coolant temps unless it increases flow at the point where the sensor is. Overall heat load of the motor is not going to change and the amount of heat the radiator can dissipate will not change.

#29 ·
What kind of temp drop did you see?

#30 ·
saw 10 -15 degree drop, which for made me feel much more comfortable driving around in 100 degree weather everyday...

what it seems like they do is help cool it off faster, dont get me wrong it will still get hot, but when it gets hot and you let off the pedal she cools down faster

#33 ·
I cannot explain the technical side of it as Chris, Logan, and Brian has above- all I can say is it makes sense to me that the coolant recirculation lines would be a good thing to have done since I already have the heads off :shrug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.