Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Those who are running AD's post plz

2K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  Bamboo 
#1 ·
Ok, Any body running AD code injectors Post up, Whos you got for tuning? And how much boost do you see?

If you have a 17* pump, how easy is it to set a CEL ? Need to get me a reader..

Got some tuning issues, Want to figure out..

#2 ·
just askin but arent AD's split shot??????? if so send your chip to TW, Diesel Innovations, DP,,ect......and with the hpop up grade your CEL shouldnt come on unless your havein real tuner problems.......and your boost will pri be in the low 20's.......all that is based on AD's bein split shots......

#3 ·
why run AD's? Just wondering? I thought about going to split shots just to see if it ran smoother but thats a big investemnt if you don't know the results. I am interested in how this wirks out. However I can't advise, sorry.
W

#4 ·
AD's here
Larry- they run a little smoother, but offer more power, and you can pick up a used set for $350-400.
I'm tuned by Power hungry performance, and it runs perfect... when it runs. My truck has a ghost running about, non tuning or injector related.
I see 30-32 lbs of boost on a WOT run.
AD's are splits, so tuning is required.
Stock 15* pump will set a low oil pressure code on WOT by 2800 or so in 2nd gear. a 17* will probably make it a bit longer before setting the code, but I imagine it'll still set it.

#13 ·
heres the deal Got my tunes from Bill at PHP but I had to get it reburned for Singles?! WTF right.?

At *** I Set a cel this was in 5th at about 2700rpm and doing like 80 up hill
But only see 25 PSI of boost
all of you have intercoolers? that could be the lower boost numbers

and Please only post if you got AD's that way any body looking to get some, or looking for info doesn't have to read through the junk..

Mahalos!
-P
No IC here,
did you tell bill that you had AD's in? he should have burnt it for splits. I'd give him a Call if I were you.
when I hit 30 psi it's wot past 2900 rpms. i've tuned my truck to run to 3300...
the CEL light sounds about normal to me. Split shots are oil-hungry, and you're working them hard.
Dan,

Here's the deal. I tuned the files for the AD Split-Shot injectors and the truck ran like a turd. Rough idle and all that. I put the single-shot files back in and everything runs "better", although still not right. Here's a bit of the conversation...

Me on 07/21/2009 said:
My concern at this moment is the injectors. Per your order, the tables we used were for stock AD split-shots from a 99+ S/D. If the injectors are actually single shots, the truck will most certainly run like crap with the tunes we did. If you could (and I hate to make you go through this...) please remove the chip and provide feedback on how the truck runs on just the PCM. If everything improves, it may be possible that the injectors are single-shot and I'll change all the files to match.

Out of curiosity, did you purchase the injectors new? Used? Just want to know if there is credible information to support that they are fully stock AD injectors and not modified in some fashion.
Me on 07/21/2009 said:
As I mentioned, the files are currently set for splits. Did you buy these injectors new or used? I ask because if they're used, then it might be possible that they've been modified to singles even though they still have "AD" stamped on the solenoids. I went through about 5 months ago with a customer that swore up and down he had Single Shots in his truck but we simply couldn't get the tuning right. Turns out after contacting [the injector company] that when they rebuilt the injectors, they left them as a Split Shot and just changed the nozzles. We can tell quite a bit about the injectors by how the tuning works or doesn't work.
Bamboo on 07/23/2009 said:
And one of the sounds I thought was due to tuning is still around, At Idle its not completely smooth like every 3-4 seconds there is an Extra Tick or a faster/slower one
Dont know if maybe my 240K mile engine is tired, Or maybe I should have bought New injectors and should think about getting my rebuilt sooner than later.
Aside from the number of split to single calibrations we've done (which is a LOT!), we've done a large number of single to split conversions as well. Without exception, they always require the same specific setups for certain tables.

The other thing that I find really confusing is that he has a 17º HPOP (I'd assume was new, but not 100% certain) which should be more than enough oil to handle splits. However, even with the narrower pulsewidth utilized for singles, it almost sounds like he has an ICP problem.

I'm certain that we'll get it figured out. I'm still waiting for a response on where the injectors were purchased from but given the way this truck runs, I'd be willing to bet that the "AD" injectors are modified singles and not actually splits. Of course, I've been known to be wrong on occasion. :D

Fun... Fun... Fun! ;)

Bamboo...

If you're still up, give me a shout. I'd like to run a couple more things past you. Let me know.

Take care.

#5 ·
i also have ADs, im running a wildman chip tuned for AAs and it runs just fine. depending on what setting im on i have seen about 27psi. i will set a CEL only when im towing or have my foot in it for a really long time.

#6 ·
im running ad's now with jody tunes and have seen 32lbs last night after putting my second turbo on :doh: i ran single shot tuning until i smoked the bearings in my turbo hitting 37lb of boost .... I set a CEL light at WOT all the time w/ single shot tuning havent had one come on since new turbo and the reburn from splits scared to get on it really changin the turbo was a pain:mad:
adrenanline 17* is in store for me:ford:

#7 ·
37 :eek:
I can barely touch 32, wot in 3rd gear, going up hill with a head wind at redline...
on the other hand, it hits 31 in about half a second LOL

#8 ·
heres the deal Got my tunes from Bill at PHP but I had to get it reburned for Singles?! WTF right.?

At *** I Set a cel this was in 5th at about 2700rpm and doing like 80 up hill
But only see 25 PSI of boost
all of you have intercoolers? that could be the lower boost numbers

and Please only post if you got AD's that way any body looking to get some, or looking for info doesn't have to read through the junk..

Mahalos!
-P

#9 ·
your numbers dont look that much diffrent then mine. i have a IC and only hit about 27psi

#10 ·
No IC here,
did you tell bill that you had AD's in? he should have burnt it for splits. I'd give him a Call if I were you.
when I hit 30 psi it's wot past 2900 rpms. i've tuned my truck to run to 3300...
the CEL light sounds about normal to me. Split shots are oil-hungry, and you're working them hard.

#11 ·
i have no intercooler, and when i hit 37lbs of boost it was with single shot jody tunes and my turbo lasted 6 days before the turbo went....last night i got my split shots tunes and a turbo on so im hitting 31lbs but havent really held into or did a wide open throttle these numbers were jus coming out of overdrive:pullover: im just scared dont want to waste another turbo :confused:

#12 ·
Yea Good to have the intercooler, And probably just not pushing it had enough to see a few more PSI of boost..

Bill first tune um for splits, but it ran like Sh!t Lope idle, Shakes..
So they runnin good on single tunes, But it just doesn't make sense to me..
Thinkin about gettin a BB turbo and some hybrids asap..

I think these sticks are bogus

#14 ·
For the record, Sticks were bought used I want to say 120k miles or so, never checked um out..
HPOP was also bought used but was sent down to the good guys at Terminator Engineering, so HPO shouldnt be a problem..

and the CEL was only pulling up a pretty steep hill, WOT

other then thinking I had splits, Tuning is great

#16 ·
I'm running AD injectors in my 97. They are a huge improvement over stock injectors, Swamps Babies and the stage IIs that I have run previously. They run so much smoother and quieter. MPG is down 1mpg over single shots, but its coming up with each new program. I am getting 17.5mpg.

Boost is set 28psi.
EGTs don't go over 1100°.
Stock HPOP (250,000+ miles) will set CEL on a hard run.
Stock mechanical fuel pump with California damper.
3" downpipe to 5" exhaust with muffler.
Stock air intake system.
Horsepower is at 325rwhp on mild tuning.

Evan Beck at Dyno-mite Diesel Performance does the tuning on the truck.

#17 ·
Then why have I always heard all this hype about single having better performance? What has to be done to the injector driver, anything?
I'm gonna look into doing this.
My truck runs phenomenally smooth for single shots now.

#19 ·
Then why have I always heard all this hype about single having better performance?
because singles are better then splits. they require less oil and make more power. i got my ADs for $350 so i figured it would be a cheap upgrade for now, and now when i want to build some bigger injectors i have an extra set of cores.

#22 ·
Yeah I like what I have. The only thing I was thinking if it were to run smoother and quieter with split shots. I think when I had Swamps do my IDM mod it helped a lot with the idle. The only thing I need now really is my turbo upgrade and i am wirkin on getting that together.
Gonna do a SD turbo with a 91mm wheel and 4 inch intake. :D

#23 ·
yes one of these days i would like to make my old cores into a set of hybrids.

#25 ·
hey man does your turbo surge w/ the AD's in, at 31-32 lbs of boost? never heard of an OBS turbo surging so im wondering what going on :confused:

#26 ·
but man my truck is like new through mid range w/ split shot tuning instead of the old single tunes and egt's are much better :evil

#28 ·
Its strange, Seems to be getting Easier to set the CEL, Maybe its cause I'm getting used to it, but I dont know..

And as far as surge with the both the OBS and SD turbo I Get a surge of power like cruising low RPM before the turbo lights It sort of bounces from no turbo to 3-4lbs Is that the same kine of surge?

#29 ·
talked to matt at beans he thinks i might have a boost leak somewhere or its the computer cutting the fuel down so i got a boost inhibitor see if that does anything..... it usually does it around 30lbs boost coming out of overdrive when im passing somebody but it sounds just like a SD turbo surge but didnt think an OBS turbo surged at all :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.