Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Is a GT45 too big to use as a DD single?

7K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  theSLEEPER 
#1 ·

So... Something like this? Say with 250 hybrids... How bad would it be?

See less See more
#3 ·
GT45 TurboCharger Unit
T4 Flange
Wet Float Bearing
External Wastegate
Oil Cooled Center System
700-1000 HP Capable

Compressor Specs:
4" 3/16th's Inlet; 2.25 Intake Inlet
3.25" Outlet Diameter
Exhaust Wheel Inducer Diameter: 68.7mm - 97.8 Trim
Compressor .66 A.R.
Compressor 69 Trim

Turbine Specs:
- 4" Outlet ; T4 Flange
- 3.5" V-Band downpipe Flange
- Turbine 1.05 A.R. / Turbine 92 Trim
- 77 MM Induce
- 87.4 MM Exducer

#4 ·
That is SEXY.

#8 ·
I wouldn't necessarily recommend it if you tow a lot or at a high elevation, but I daily drove with it and towed the CompD Ranger from FL to TX with it with no issues. Just gets a little smokey every once in a while. It was Snow White's GT45 though, so I imagine you could put a smaller turbine housing on it than whatever that one had. It was a little bit laggy, but man was it fun. Sorta like foreplay. :D

#10 ·
Then the GT45 is not your option. It will be laggy and smokey.

Just put a 66mm H2E on it and forget it.

#16 ·
I would imagine it will fall apart under the abuse of a diesel in no time. They have lived for a little bit on gassers. But rarely.

#23 ·
Looking at the pictures the biggest difference is in the center sections.

#24 ·
For those interested, I ran one of those for over 2 years, and I beat the sh!t out of it every day of its life.

Made 48 psi on kill, egt's were good, I even had to modify the comp wheel when I chipped off one of the blades on install.
(Fixed it buy snapping off about an equal size chunk off of the opposite blade with a pair of needle nose pliers.)

I did tow with it, and it only surged 1 time, I was at 7300' pulling a 32' TT and lugging it in OD.

I would throw mine back on in a heartbeat and not worry abit about it. Currently I have an "HRT Enginering" charger that I will be tossing on soon.

#34 ·
Consider me amazed! I can't believe it worked that well for you!

#29 ·
That is the exact same turbgo I am running.

I have 70,000 miles on it, 25,000 with AD's and the rest with 238cc hybrids with 100% nozzles making 500+.

I made the mounting kit for it and have no complaints about it. With an auto it will spool great with little smoke and when it lights hold on.

With a standard it is a little laggy between gears and such, but my experience with that charger has been very impressive.

The only reason I am working on other options is simply that I cannot get parts easily and readily and do not know anything about it except that it works great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.