Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Owner's of 38r (part 2)

4K views 42 replies 15 participants last post by  PTSUPERD 
#1 ·
Well I finally had time to fiddle around w/ my turbo that I bought from David (DI) a while back. I wasn't seeing the boost pressure that I thought that I should (26 psi). So I unhooked the red line that runs to the wastegate. Surprise, surprise - 36 psi in the tow tune. I swear sometimes I'm an idiot. Now what is the easliest way to adjust the wastegate? Take the turbo out, or leave it in and do it there. The rod needs to shorted, correct? I also noticed that it surges when it shifts. Any ideas??

#2 ·
Get a 1.15 housing would eliminate the surge issue. I had a cover over the opening on the wastegate when I had the 1.0 housing on it. Pegged the 30 psi gauge at will. Stock injectors.

#13 ·
The noise is normal because you are doing two things at once:
1. You have just dropped the RPMs because of the shift causing less exhaust energy to drive the turbo.
2. Because you are at less RPM you don't need as much CFM being pumped into the engine so all that air gets spit back through the compressor.

The "woosh" sound hear is harmless and does not hurt anything, it is merely spitting air back through the turbo compressor. Surge is a constant sound that sounds like a pressure cooker.

#24 ·
Ok here is a little more info. Boost guage is all over the place when it shifts. I mean all over, it flutters gradually lower in boost presure.
A couple of side notes. Is 1400 degrees ok for a short burst? I know that you guys w/ built engines can tell me this. Second, I finally let her eat tonight on the high tune. A little moisture in the road, and the tires breaking loose at 70mph is not cool. OK it is a little, but I was not expecting that!!!!

#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have the 1.00 housing on mine and i dont think i will change it. It spools so quick and is so responsive.

#26 ·
i don't know allot about turbos but i put a 38r on my truck and was making like 28 lbs of boost and a guy told me to put 2 full turns tighter on the wast gate rod and now I'm making 42 lbs at wot.

#30 ·
1.15 housing... Only way that turbo should be sold... Garrett is the only one that has said that, only reason I cant think of why is he is used to a gas rig...LOL

My wifes X with the 38r and 1.15 has no surge, no stall, no shift spikes... Jut smooth power. I like driving it more then my truck because of the instant spool up.

#31 ·
#34 ·
Thats the one I have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.