Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Starting to prep for my Mile Marker 10,000lb winch

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Dave R 
#1 ·
Started a bit of work on the truck. I'm planning to fit a Mile Marker (or maybe the remore solenoid Warn 10,000) winch behind the stock bumper. I pulled the bumper off to start looking for space for the 40" tires and the winch. The bumper is really the only thing to worry about for tire size and for the winch so I got it off. The factory fog lights will have to go for winch room as you can see they're out. I'm going with some Hella 5000's behind the grille for extra lighting just like Layson did. Love the look.

I pulled the lower brackets off the AC condencer and cut 1 inch off them to pull the condenser closer to the tranny cooler since it had 1.75 inches of room. Now I have 1 extra inch of room for the winch.

I also cut some bumper spacers for the brackets to the frame where it'll be spaced out 1.25 inches with the combined spacer and washers. I'll also get some washers behind the bumper to bracket bolts and it'll give me .25 inch more space. With all of that, I'll be able to build a good solid winch mount between the frame rails and I'll have 8 inches of space for the winch. A MileMarker 10,000lb winch is 6.75 inches so it and the roller bracket will fit behind the stock bumper easily.

The bumper will also not stick out beyond the grille and will still look good. Of course using grade 8 hardware will help with stepping up on the bumper. That's all it'll be used for as well as looks. The winch and roller kit will all be on the frame brackets I build and just hide behind the bumper. Warn's kit moves the bumper out 6 inches and puts spacer plastics in it. I don't like that when I can move stuff back to make the room and keep the stock look with minimal adjustment externally. Now I just need to source some minimum 3/8 inch plate stock in 3 foot lengths and 8 inch width. Anyone know a cheap source? I might try the welding shop I have the stang parts at for work. They build trailers so they should have what I need.

See less See more
#2 ·
Got the parts and the bumper is back on. The spacers are bigger than needed but I'll shorten them as soon as I get the winch mount built and it all installed. Then I'll know how much i need to remove from the spacers. It's actually 2 full inches out as compared to the 1-1.25 inches i intended but not a big deal. i have pplenty of room for the winch and the 40's will go on without issue too.

I have just over 4 inches of depth behind the grille to mount the Hella's. Since I was in there, I also cut out the hole for the filter to get fresh air from the front. I still need to get some heavy duty rubber and fab up some air dams to ensure the flow stays across the cooling items in front and not around.

I will check on the steel stock tomorrow and i still need to get the winch and roller assembly. That'll be a while now but at least the kids gave me the time to get this done. I can surely get the tires when these where out. More to come.

#3 ·
I guess I messed up with the post title. I'm actually getting a Smittybuilt 10,000 5.5hp, 218:1 ratio winch.

I will be getting it in just under a month and I found a shop for steel. The base support will be 1/2 inch thick 6" wide steel since i can get it for under $10 a foot. I'll weld up the tortional support and roller assembly support out of the 3/8". I need to wait to buy the winch first so I have the footprint and total mockup setup for fitment. Then I can start cutting and welding.

Can't wait.

Seems there isn't much interest in winching, or at least in my direction with it. Just not interested in some big bulky bumper or having the winch out in the open. It'll make me money where I'm moving next year. North Dakota has tons of people end up in the ditch after the first snow. That and my farm work will make good use of it.

Dave

#5 ·
Thanks. After seeing what actually holds these bumpers on, I have reservations about standing on it while I work under the hood. It holds my little 170lbs but it's there in my mind now.

#6 ·
very nice work, I like the idea too. Specially good when you can work with what your given and make the best out of it. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the fab work.

#7 ·
Looks really nice. Best part about the whole thing is that your building it yourself. Its cool to have something that no one can run out and buy. :rockwoot:

#10 ·
Correction.....Fox Body for sale.

93 GT with Dart based forged 347 and an S480 T6 turbo. Solid roller, Ported Vr Jr's, Roller C4/C5 with 4500 stall, 8 point bar tied to monster subs, tubular front with coilovers, 4 wheel brakes. All on a 45,000 mile used body.

Was in the November 2005 issue of 5.0 and SF listed as "Rocket Man's Plan". Had a blower then on stock lower 306 seeing 410hp on a badly slipping clutch and crappy DSS rings letting lots of blowby.

I'm hoping for mid 9's here at this altitude. More cage needed then if I hit it.

You can see my build thread at 4+ year wait and it's almost running again. - Mustangs Insanity

Lots of pages on the N/A setup getting ready for the blower and then the rebuild for turbo. A few more days and it'll be running. Then I hope to sell it or trade it. Can't take it to Europe with me.

Thanks
Dave

#11 ·
I got a bit of work done on the truck today too. I took the trailer hitch off and will take it down for sandblasting and I have some bedliner spray to coat it with. I didn't like the fact that the powder coating was flaking off and it was starting to rust so I'll redo it. I never knew a class 5 hitch was so damned heavy!!!! I guess the fact that I'm a little puss doesn't help any.

On a sad note, I have to spend some money on a fuel pump and a fan relay for my stang. That means I won't be getting the winch this month. I have to buy a new set of blues for the air Force because I'm getting fat and tall and I have to get the stang parts. I'll get the winch next month. The stang is so close to running, I have to do it.

I still need to get the hose for my CCV mod too. I keep forgetting that everytime I'm at the parts store.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.