Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

throtlte sensitivity

4K views 40 replies 23 participants last post by  Suns_PSD 
#1 ·
I am not happy with how sensitive my pedal is when i am in my different tunes from DP. trying to go slow on a bumpy road is very hard when the slightest movement almost spins the tires. Does the tuning have something to do with this or is there just that much more power?

#2 ·
haha mines like that to! i cant complain cuz before it was a dog!

#3 ·
I have always wandered the same thing. My uncle has a chip on his truck, and man the accelator pedal is so touchy. Like you said, alot of its miles are pulling farm related trailer up and down bumpy roads and paths.

#4 ·
Get ride of that junk and get a tune from Matt @ Gearhead Automotive or Bill at PHP and you wont have that issue anymore.

Not only will that be fixed but the truck will run better also.

#5 ·
I ran the truck with a Bullydog 6 pos chip the most before the build, and this is what I found. I would start the truck and run it through the gears for 5 minutes or so. Then turn the chip on. It took away that throttle sensitivity that was so bad, I ran the truck on the stock setting 98% of the time until I found this out.

I've often wondered if the TPS needs turn "learn" the range of motion everytime you start the truck? Common sense would say that wouldn't be the case, but from what I learned it almost seems to be true. :shrug:

#10 ·
I personally like being able to use the entire pedal like the factory intended, but that's just me. I have customers complain that the tunes feel less powerful "on the bottom end" but have more at WOT.

The pedal is nothing more than a variable resistor..... no magic here, you can have WOT at 20% throttle or 100% throttle in the tuning. If you cut your floorboard out and dropped it a bit maybe you can get 150% throttle....LOL J/K

#11 ·
Matt, does the TPS have to re-learn the range of motion everytime you start the truck? It's made me scratch my head how I was able to "tame" my old chip by running the truck for 5 or 6 miles all through the full range of motion before turning up the chip. That allowed me to go from something that I didn't like to drive it in (so touchy like the others have mentioned), to something that felt very much like stock response.

#14 ·
The only setting that I thought was overly touchy was the 80econo especially in my 6-speed. Jody was able to slow down the pedal response so now all of my tunes (60, 80, 120) have virtually the same progression and are all easy to shift. Jody can easily change the sensitivity, just gotta ask him to.

I wish we didn't have to ask him to.

#16 ·
yes, EOT can affect fuel pulsewidth multiplication if the sensor gets out of whack. It does this to compensate for cold, thick oil affecting how much pulsewidth you need for a given amount of fuel. You obviously need more pulsewidth when the oil is thick due to a slow injector. You also need timing advance because the injector is slow to respond.

#17 ·
Mine is touchy just like everyone else but I relearned the go pedel pretty quick.

#19 ·
i am running php's tunes and am happy with the throttle except for in the extreme setting.You almost have to push the pedel half way to the floor befor it takes off and it takes off real fast i hate it. i am about to try beans new tunes.

#23 ·
I've been through this before too. Especially if you have a manual tranny a sensitive throttle can make driving pretty miserable. Some people like them like that because it feels so strong but it's all in their head. My BDP tunes are about as close to stock throttle as you can get.

Justin

#33 ·
I am sure that Jody can get you set up for what is comfortable to you.

#39 ·
I'm sorry about my comment I made about it being junk I should have said it in a different way.

Just IMO the way that Matt, Bill, David and some of the others do there tuning with throttle response is better and make it easier to drive.

#40 ·
My Swamps tuning has a touchy throttle in about 1/2 of the tunes n my chip. I just need to call Dave and have him change it but I haven't yet. does that make my tunes Junk? :poke: Sorry I couldn't help it,lol

I have been running around with this 6 position Swamps chip for a month or so and finally got used to it being different from my DP tuned PCM. The other day I decided to pull the chip and run around on the DP 80T like I have for 2+ years now. I was just as impressed with The 80T as I had been in the past very nice tune for my truck. I think we @ the Nation have a really great group of tuners that are all involved in the site and allow us to ask them questions. That is really cool compared to other sites where a vendor is hesitant to talk with you on a open forum.

I have Swamps tuning and a DP tune and like them both. I hope to try Matts and DI tuning in the future as well. They are all a little different and thats what makes it great to have options. :ford:

#41 ·
What I can tell you about programming is that it is often a subjective thing. What one guy loves, another hates.

That said, Jody can change throttle sensetivity in a blink of an eye by several different methods.

I prefer when he maintains the high ICP but just alters the throttle voltage. The high ICP seems to help w/ mpg and definitely assists with a large turbo coming up quick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.