Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

How many have had multiple blown HG's?

56K views 333 replies 62 participants last post by  97_f250_7.3L 
#1 ·
Just curious to how many of us have had studs, gaskets and machine work done(to the heads) and still end up puking again? I am in the sitiation for the second time so I was looking for a fix for the problem other than pulling the engine apart and decking the block to get a clean new surface the these multie layer gaskets to seal on.

I have talked w/ Bean alittle on this and if we have enough people interested then we may can get a order of composite HG's for the 6L made so we have another option for these things.

I am also up for any other suggestions, I know Hypermax has some machine free orings but I have not heard alot of success.

any help is appreciated.

#2 ·
don't go with the hypermax ones, i hate to tell you but if your still puking, the heads, and block need to be decked. the factory ford gaskets with arp's hold up great with flat surfaces. this is my experiance. sorry man.

#6 ·
It could be but I don't think so,Bean has anothe rtruck at his shop w/ the same issue not saying its NOT cracked but highly unlikely IMO

#5 ·
I know that the deck the block sounds all good but and would fix the issue more than likely, that is basically a full engine build at that point, so I was looking for anonther option for those of us who have a engine that runs fine but have a "ruff" block surface not really needing to be decked other than a ruffer surface than the multilayer gaskets like.

If I am looking at a full disassemble and re-assemble I think this truck would get a 6cylinder in it.

#11 ·
I am running ARP's, this has come up in question also. I seem to remember reading somewhere not to use ARP's more than once, but I can't seem to find any info again.

Any thoughts on that subject? Or any pros and cons for the oring and composite.

#9 ·
I have had two that are doing this to me now, Jeremy's and one other. It could possibly be the block but it definetly was not obvious when the head was off. From what I can tell the block surface is the biggest issue, not that its so much warped but the surface is not smooth enough for multilayer gaskets.

If there was enough interest I would like to get a composite gasket made and o-ring the block like we do on Cummins engines. That setup will hold 1000+hp 100+psi of boost and daily driving and I have never had one blow like that. Fire rings are not dependable for a DD and need extra retorques, orings do not. The gaskets would be alot cheaper but the labor to cut the rings and install them would make it a hair more expensive then stock gaskets.

#13 ·
I would look deeper Bean and Jeremy. The crack are far from being a "hey look at me I am here" they are hidden, here is a picture of a customers truck, my truck had a cracked block and the other Adam's truck had a cracked block..along with quite a few others..

Yes its small and doesn't look like much, but with the amount of compression in each cylinder, it will make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Alot of people seem to jump on headgaskets and flatness of both block and heads,which are both important, but never look past that at the actual block.

Jeremy, I assume your head were magnafluxed too, right?

#14 ·
Adam,
I would think the heads were magnafluxed, but ****** took care of that so I am not sure. I hope its not a block, because I really love this combo I have now it is strong down low and up top,spools great and is very streetable w/ low smoke and low EGT's.

I pray it a HG issue.

#15 ·
That very well could be the issue cause I am having a hard time believing the hg is leaking after we decked the heads and did all of our usual hg stuff to it.

On those cracked blocks were you getting any hydrolock, smoke on startup, or coolant in the crankcase?

#16 ·
my truck was puking, severely pressurizing the degas bottle, it did smoke at startup..my coolant temps were getting hotter then normal, it would hit 240...the last straw was when it did hydrolocked..don't remeber if there was coolant in the crankcase.

check the block for cracks with a bright flashlight and if your fingernail will catch on it..its not good.

#17 ·
I had Adam check all my temps when we did the injector change and all was good coolant and oil were very good

#22 ·
I checked for pressurized degas bottle alot right after I got the heads done and found none until the day it puke last week sometime.

#21 ·
Bean to me even when my truck was not running real strong it wasn't running terrible, it did make 40psi and ran ok, it never puked once, and then we get the stix fixed and it pukes again, I guess it could be small and when the CP gets up to the point it can't hold anymore, and then it lets loose. I don't know I guess I am trying to be optomistic!

#28 ·
Hope you get your truck figured out soon jeremy... i would hate to race you at the track and get coolant all over my truck IF you happen to pull in front of me :D

#30 ·
Oh.......even with doing what its doing........you would definatly be behind me but you prolly wouldn't get coolant on you since it would have already hit the ground by the time you got there!:doh:.......It still make 45+ psi and gets on down the road!

#34 ·
Have not been to the track yet, but I am gonna guess 13.40's or 50s @ 98-99

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.