Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Weird Engine whine

828 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  moonshiner 
#1 ·
The whine is coming from the front of the engine where the serpentine system is, I know its not the belt, cause it maintains the same pitch and sound level of whine when the engine increases in RPM's, I think it might be the Fan clutch cause the whine eventually goes away after 3 miles of driving, but will start up again if the truck is aloud to sit for 30min, then started again...
Id rather it not be the fan clutch, cause its a bit expensive of a part to justify replacing it, so if anyone can tell me how to just get rid of the whine, id be really happy...cause the whine is realllllyyyy getting annoyin...
Thanks

#2 ·
Did you check your power steering fluid for foaming and level ? It could be that .

#3 ·
it does foam, but im not sure why.... and fluid level isnt the issue, cause ive tried all levels, I still have excess pressure from somewhere.

#4 ·
Check your belt tensionor. Make sure its in line and not a bearing on the pulley.

#5 ·
Well if is is foaming you have to flush it ASAP . you got some water contamination is there OR the fluid is way too old . . .

#6 ·
ok, whats the best way to flush it?
and ive changed the belt tensioner pulley out recently.

#7 ·
First Jack up the truck and place it securely on jack stands so the wheels are off the ground and the truck is solid . Disconnect the return line from the cooler to the pump .Then connect a longish line from the cooler to a drain pan so you don't make a mess . Start engine and let system empty itself . When engine is off turn wheel from side to side , to get all the fluid out. Connect everything up and fill up system and start engine again rotating steering wheel back and forth to bleed system . Repeat this once more and you should be OK. You will need about 4 litres of synthetic ATF. Be carefull not to run it for too long when it is dry. Also once you have most of the air out of the system keep checking the level so you are not too low. The other way is to suck fliud out with a small suction pump and fill with new fluid until it is clear and consistent. I prefer the method I described

#8 ·
alright it isnt the pump, just got done with it, and cleaning lines and all. the leak is coming from the gearbox, but where exactly is hard to pinpoint since the oil and mud is really caked... if anyone has a nice link to a diagram, it would be helpful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.