Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Boost foolers? Which is better?

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  skav 
#1 ·
So I've been looking at different boost foolers and it looks like there are basically two types. Mechanical and diode (zeiner diode I think).

I have been using a machanical fooler, but I'm curious about the diode type.

I have heard that the mechanical foolers are slower to react, and that the diode will let the MAP sensor read normally up to the cut off (around 22-24psi). What is the max voltage that the MAP sensor can read before it trips the SES light?

So Here is the question. Which type of fooler is better and why?

#2 ·
We're using an air pressure regulator, as off an air compressor, from lowes. Plumbed in and calibrated to cut out at 16PSI. Calibrated using 30PSI shop supply air.
Argument for it? Ease of use I'd say. If you can use an impact gun safely you can do this.

#3 ·
ours relives at 20 psi an reacts instantly, 1000's sold and the only complaint is in cold weather operation, but those are the type people that will always have problems as the engine should be up to operating temp before hammering on it.

#10 ·
ours relives at 20 psi an reacts instantly, 1000's sold and the only complaint is in cold weather operation, but those are the type people that will always have problems as the engine should be up to operating temp before hammering on it.
I love the last half of that statement.

#5 ·
I have been meaning to ask the about that. Just keep forgetting to give him a call.:(

Does anybody know what the max pressure is before physical damage occurs to the MAP sensor? I could see the diode being a problem if the MAP sensor saw 60-65psi, and it self destructs at say 40psi.

#8 ·
No to de-rail or anything.... But I was told 16-17PSI? Why go to 23?

#14 ·
Stay away from electronic widgets like zener diodes. Yes, they work to a point, but not as well as a mechanical solution AND you run the risk of damage to the MAP sensor OR the PCM.

#15 ·
I have run a stock superduty sensor at 40-45 psi for a while with no boost fooler.
The Zener diode works okay, but you do run the risk of cooking the sensor if it isn't designed properly to limit current sink to ground.

Both mechanical types (regulator and pop-off valve) work okay.

I only use the mechanical type for my fuel pressure regulator now since I don't need a fooler of any kind for the map sensor on the super duties.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.