Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

break in period before DPF delete/tunes?

4K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  orly 
#1 ·
hi there, i'm just about to sign papers on a '09 F350. I am planning on doing a DPF delete but was wondering how long I should let the truck break in before I install it. Also my dealer is installing DPF delete kits with SCT tunes (+ 40 hp) and still honouring all motor/driveline warranty for 5 years/160,000 kms for around $2600 cad dollars. or should I get a spartan kit/tunes (210 + hp ) for $2000 and risk getting denied warranty? any thoughts?

#2 ·
Hmmmm, thats a hard one to say. If they will honor your warranty with the SCT on there, you could get River City Diesel custom tunes on the truck and just not let them know you have been running high horsepower tunes. Spartan is the best and most proven tuner out there though.

As far as break in period, I am really not sure. I put my kit on after I already had a lot of miles on my truck (close to 40,000). Someone will chime in about that I am sure. I wouldn't think you would need to wait, but I am not sure about it...

#3 ·
Sounds to me that your getting screwed on the price, $2600!!!! Is it just one tune, 40hp?? Your dealer my not have a problem with the warranty on your truck, but what about if your somewhere else and have to get it serviced??? What if the Ford rep see's the truck with everything removed while it's at the dealer? I don't think he would be as friendly as your dealer. And it doesn't mean another dealer will warranty it. I don't know of anyone that has Spartan tunes on their truck that has had their warranty denied. Everyone knows that we all take the risk of loosing our warranty if we are caught. Return it to stock if you need warranty work on the truck. It's the best insurance that you will ever have. Just not worth the risk of getting caught by Ford!!!!

I tuned both of our trucks around 4000 miles and not had any problems....

#4 ·
ya I know the price is a little high but to me its more the warranty that I'm buying. Their words are "if ford denies the warranty claim then we (the dealer) will honour the warranty and get you on your way again". Somehow they lock the 40+ hp tune in and if I tamper with it they will know and then any problems resulting from tuning wont be covered under warranty. From reading other posts the higher hp tunes seem to be getting the best milage though, so maybe this tune wont be much better than stock milage? I just came back from the dealer, papers are signed I get possesion of the truck tuesday :D

#8 ·
Somehow they lock the 40+ hp tune in and if I tamper with it they will know :D
Sounds like bullchit to me. My dealer said the same about the stock set up.

The one cool thing you got with this deal is the delete pipe. Let em do that. Pay the price, then switch over to the Spartan, and switch back for their waranty.

#5 ·
I hope you get it in writing if you decide to do... I'm sure your going to enjoy the truck!!! Hopefully, you'll also be satisfied with the mileage....

#10 ·
well I've done a little more homework and I'm definetly leaning towards the spartan package, i'll save close to a thousand bucks plus it'll go faster. :D So as of today I got 219 km's on the truck..... can I tune it yet? whats the recomended break in with these things anyways..?

#15 ·
IMO there is no such thing as break in, drive it like you would normally drive it, high rpms is the only thing i would watch, we do engine overhauls on overthe road trucks all the time, and as soon as they are up to coolant temp they go on a full 100% load dyno... just my 2 cents.

GO spartan you wont regret it, the guages are much better, you'll have to take everything off for dealer trips but who cares, power is good mileage is good, get the biggest tune you can :evil:

#16 ·
right on guys, I should be ordering some goodies from spartan in a week or two. So far I'm loving this truck as is, cant wait to see what it'll do with spartan tunes. Its gonna be my work truck and it'll always be backing 2000-3000 pounds in the bed so I'm thinking I'll just get the 210 tune. I dont want to push to it to hard, she's gotta go to work ever day to pay for herself. no sick days allowed! :ford:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.