Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Need help with P1316 Code and IDM issue.

78K views 38 replies 11 participants last post by  cjfisher 
#1 ·
I have a 99 F250 and my problem started when all of a sudden at a stop light it started running really rough and the Service Engine Soon light came on for about 5 seconds and the problem went away. About 20 minutes later it happened again while driving and lasted for about 10 or so seconds. When I got home, I pulled DTC code P1316 using my SuperChips programmer. I drove the truck a couple of more times and it kept happening more often until finally it just runs like crap all the time, barely idles and the service engine light stays on, and the DTC code P1316 still now showing up. My initial thought was my IDM was bad so I ordered a reman unit from a company in Florida. I installed it, cleared my DTC codes, the truck started right up and idled smoothly. I drove the truck for about a 1/2 mile, got down on the throttle about 3/4 of the way and bamm like turning off a switch the truck started running like crap again and service engine light is coming on. Pulled the DTC code P1316 again. After reading a few post, I know now to look at the UVC gasket and wire harness. I don't have a scanner so can't do a buzz test so I unplugged driver side UVC harness attempted to start it and it would not, plugged the driver side back in and unplugged the pass side and it started. So, assuming the pass side UVC gasket and/or harness is bad, I bought a new set from ford and installed it. No luck. Same problem. I then used the old pass side gasket and harness and installed it on the driver side assuming maybe the driver side is bad. No luck. Same problem. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. :doh:

See less See more
#2 ·
Fuel issue? What is the P1316 code. Where have you been getting fuel. How much fuel is in the tank?

I had the same issues a while back when someone stuffed a cigar in my fuel tank.
Sending unit was picking it up and was causing the truck to run really rough. I had to pull the bed up, get the sending unit out and clean it really good.

#3 ·
Need to get a volt/ohm meter and tone out the engine harness and the wiring to the IDM. There is a wiring diagram in the tech section. Also, double check the pins and harness connectors for damage. Make sure the main harness connection is secure.

#7 ·
I'll try the volt/ohm test using the wiring diagram. Unfortunately I don't have a scan tool that does a buzz test so I won't be able to perform that right now. Might have to break down and buy one since I could use it anyway. If you know of a good hopefully not too expensive scan tool, let me know.

Thx,

Greg

#18 ·
Found the IDM relay in the power distribution box and switched it with the blower motor relay. No luck, same problem. I found a wiring diagram on powerstrokenation.com forum and used it to toned out the four injector wires from the valve cover harness back to the 42 pin junction box and then from the juntion box to the IDM. I went ahead and checked both sides just in case. I performed the "wiggle" test on each one and all have continuity all the way back to the IDM with no change in ohm reading. I also didn't notice any wires that were rubbed through their coating or were freyed or burnt.

Using my scan tool, I performed the Continous Memory Test. Along with the same P1316 I'm also getting a P0603 - Power Train Control Module Keep Alive Memory KAM error. Does this indicated any other issue?

For my next test I tried running the KOER test with my new scan tool to see if it found anything. So, I started the truck, and of course it's running very rough and the Service Engine Light is on. My scan tool failed to run the KOER test because it kept telling me it had a communication error and couldn't continue. I began reading the scan tool manual thinking maybe I missed something or maybe its not compatible with my truck. Then all of a sudden my truck starts idling smooth and the Service Engine Soon light goes off. Remind you, the truck is sitting still just idling. Go figure? With the truck idling smooth, I thought it was a great opportunity to do a complete "wiggle" test on all the injector wires to see if I could get it to run bad and the Engine light come on again. Well, I wiggled, and wiggled and wiggled all the injector wires from the UVC harness back to the IDM. Nothing! Truck is still idling great.

Since it running normal now, I proceed to drive the truck for ~ 3 miles. Drove slow for a while and then got down on it a couple of times. No problems. Truck is running normal. Smooth idle and good power.

I then proceed to go ahead and clear the codes and run the continuous memory test again and I'm still getting the P0603 code but not the P1316.
I re-ran the KOEO test and no DTC codes are being detected now.

What does the P0603 by itself really mean?

#20 ·
Well, I'm back to square 1. I attempted to drive the truck yesterday and didn't even make it down the driveway when, like turning turning on a light switch, the service engine light came on and it's running like crap again. Not sure where to go from here since this problem is so intermitant. I guess I could bring it to the dealer. But, we all know how much that cost. :doh:

#21 ·
Pulled the pass side vc off again and the harness did not come unplugged at all. I ohmed out all the injectors again through the pass through connector and they are all still showing 3.1 ohms. I pushed on it connector just to be sure but it didn't move, its all the way connected.

So, if my IDM is good, wiggling all the injector wires doesn't show any changes, verifying twice that the harness is not coming unplugged.............WTF could be causing the open circuit to Bank 1?

#25 ·
There are tabs on the valve cover as well...look closely, thats what the harnesses plug into. The tabs could be open within the valve cover. But if you said you checked it on the engine side of the harness (exposed) then you checked the VC also.

Havent had a chance to install it yet...was going to do it today but the weather isnt really cooperating.

Just for the hell of it, pull the 42 pin connector on the drivers side valve cover off to see if there is any corrosion built up in there...

#26 ·
I replaced the pass side valve cover gasket and harness with new ones from ford. I also pulled the valve cover off again just to be sure the connector didn't come undone. The 42 pin connector is good. No corrosion issues. It still has the factory dielectric grease on the pins.

#27 ·
Does anyone know if a 2002 IDM would work in my early 99? I would like to rule out the slight chance that I may have two bad IDMs (The factory unit and the reman unit I bought). A friend of mine has a 2002 F250 and since the swap is simple, I thought I would give it a shot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.