Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Just finished my FP gauge...

3K views 39 replies 13 participants last post by  bluemountianpowerstroke60 
#1 ·
...and my pressure drops to 20PSI! What is the best way to take care of this? Is an Airdog a good route, what about a regulated return? Are there any little tricks and mods I can do to build some fuel pressure? I am looking for the least expensive route to fix this. Also, my idle FP was 47, seemed a little low. I also noticed that as soon as my pump shuts off, pressure bleeds off rather quickly, is this normal?

Thanks,
-Travis

#19 ·
You might be talking about me, and yes my fuel pressure is dropping very low, unfortunately I don't have FP guage, but it is very obvious that fuel pressure is to blame, the truck starts sputtering at WOT, not a pretty sound at all. I'm exploring options for a fuel system as well.

#3 ·
What would be a symptom?

#5 ·
Sure doesn't seem like it runs out of power. Pulls hard up to about 4th, then kinda of tapers off. I'm assuming that is normal because I don't expect a 8000 pound truck to have much top end:D

#6 ·
#7 ·
I had the same problem.
I did the BB mod and it got the psi up at idle but did not help at WOT.
So next I did a ITP RR kit and it helped but not enough.
Last weekend I put in a Airdog II and it is set at 65 psi and it only drops about 5-6 psi (60) at WOT.
I hope this helps you decide.

#8 ·
There are several ways you can run the fuel system. I run the AirDog100 and it's a great unit. I haven't installed my ITP kit yet for the RR side of the system. Whatever you do make sure you are feeding the heads from both ends with 52PSI fuel.

#10 ·
I have been seeing between 50-52 at idle and anything under 2,800 rpm. Over that it starts to drop a bit, most I have seen it drop with a 0-95mph run was down to 35-40 but climbed right back up.

Whats the condition of your fuel filters? doubt it will solve the issue but certainly might help a bit. I believe Adam at First Coast is a trusted performance dealer and they seem to have some really nice stuff for the 6.0L fuel systems. Personally I like the idea of the fixed oriface return setup when running a already regulated pump like the Airdog II or FASS.

#12 ·
I have been seeing between 50-52 at idle and anything under 2,800 rpm. Over that it starts to drop a bit, most I have seen it drop with a 0-95mph run was down to 35-40 but climbed right back up.

Whats the condition of your fuel filters? doubt it will solve the issue but certainly might help a bit.
:whs:
I'd get an ITP RR and a Fuelab fuel pump and never look back or worry bout it again if or should I say when it's me. I personally don't like the FASS- to many dodges run them. Every time I see a modified dodge it has a FASS under it down here. I honestly don't think with the above combo I put you'd have a need for air removal :shrug: IHMO you only need one of those when you're running dead head or when you just connecting the back of the heads. Back on the 2001 7.3L I had previously it was ITP's RR and an Aeromotive 11108 pump and never had any issues with air or low pressure!

#14 ·
I am changing my filters tomorrow, it has been 15K. Even with my truck not running it only goes as high as 47psi. Do you guys think I should start with a fuel pump first? How hard is it to install a x-over or return?

Does anybody's FP drop to 2 or 3 psi real fast when the FP turns off?

#16 ·
OK filters changed and no effect on pressure. Still at 47 at idle. Do you think I should buy a fuel pump? My idle pressure being so low is what worries me. Even with my truck not running it is at 47...

#18 ·
About 20

#20 ·
I was reading up on some stuff on CompD and Socaps, and alot of people talk about drilling the Banjo Bolts out. Do you guys think I should do this, or just buy bigger ones?

#21 ·
most of my knowlege is gasser, but I would think diesel would be the same in this case...every one talks about the regulator in a rr setup being redundant, but I would say the one in the pump is the one you don't want. the whole idea of regulated return would be to keep the the whole system at a certain pressure. maybe I don't understand the rr setup... but doesn't the fuel go from tank to pump through the 2 filters then to the heads out the back of the heads through a regulator then back to the tank? If so then the pump regulator should be set real high to protect the fuel system in case the rr regulator was to fail for some reason, but the rr regulator should then maintain the fuel system pressure so the pressure in the heads is at your desired pressure.

#24 ·
Is this in addition to the stock fuel pump, or does it replace the stocker?

#26 ·
What do you suggest as a pump?

#28 ·
I'll look into it. Do the all in one units replace the HFCM? What do you think about drilling out the banjo's?

#30 ·
Thanks for the info. There is one last thing: when I turn off my truck, but still have power to the gauge, my fuel pressure bleeds off very quick. Is this normal? I thought it was supposed to hold pressure...

If anyone else has any suggestions, I'm still open.

#32 ·
Ya it does, but as soon as the pump shuts off, pressure is gone. I just want to make sure that's normal.

#34 ·
Thanks Adam. Do you sell the FASS? If so PM me please!

#36 ·
I've also read it is crucial to ensure that the fuel filter cap on the HFCM is sealed very good. I've heard of guys putting them on and with no other issues in driveability have the pressure drop to 20. Truck ran fine, but without the gauge you'd never know it. The guy who told me about this said it took him 3 tries before he could get it to hold pressure. All he did was remove the cap, oil up the o-ring and reseat it.

Anyone else have these issues?

#37 ·
Did it leak externally? A leak is the only thing that could cause a pressure drop.

#38 ·
Here is what is working for me - I have new lines feeding the front of the heads with the regulator gutted with a custom return line with a remote regulator. AD 150 feeding stock HFCM. My fuel pressure gauge is in the return line(regulator). I have it set at 55 psi and it may drop 1-2 psi under initial stomp on the skinny pedal, but it returns and holds 55 psi throughout the rpm range. I do have trouble with the HFCM dribbling a wee bit, but loosen and a little oil fixes it, just assumed pressurizing the feed side of the HFCM with the AD 150 was causing this. That is with 185 injectors that flow alot. Elite also claims the stock HFCM is good enough for 190 injectors(with their RR), but without the AD 150, my fuel pressure was right on the edge of acceptable, and Charlie(Pureflow) knew the 150 would do the trick and said if it did not he would swap it with the AD II for the price diff., so I am pretty sure he knew it would do the trick. The 10 psi the AD 150 is rated for pushes 18 psi through my system by itself, so it helps alot, and the extra filtration I get with this can't hurt either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.