Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Pay attention to steering hoses

3K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  ColeTrain45 
#1 ·
Today coming home from work:

On the freeway, doing about 75, coming up on a slow moving truck in the middle lane. No problem, jump into the left lane. All I see is a world of brake lights. Still no problem (I got good brakes), step down on the brake pedal, a little hard because the world is stopping. I feel a little POP, and all of a sudden, no power brakes. (OH CRAPPOLA) Stand on the pedal, I am in the left lane, got a nice wide shoulder, I TRY to turn, no power steering. I am now laying on the brakes and the wheel.

I get into the shoulder, nobody swaps paint. I limp it home. Pop the hood, the line going from the hydroboost to the pump has a hole rubbed in the steel from contact with another hose. Replaced for cheap.

Check it out, make sure yours aint rubbing anywhere. Lot's of pucker factor.

#3 ·
I also had to buy a new pair of shorts. My butthole chewed a hole in the pair I was wearing. I think I can get the seat clean though.

#11 ·
:hehe::hehe::hehe:

#5 ·
It's hard to think of the e brake in a split second huh? good thing you had a breakdown lane to the left. Might have gotten interesting. Glad everything worked out. Thanks for the tip. You might want to make a sticky on this one

#7 ·
There is, I covered it with a piece of rubber and about a hundred zip ties.

I broke my e-brake cable day before yesterday. It is on order. I still pulled the lever and mashed on it for a second.

#8 ·
Should have stopped for some lottery tickets LOL!!

#10 ·
I'll check mine tomorrow. Thanks for the info and lucky it turned out ok.

#14 ·
Thanks for the heads up. Where did your e brake cable break? Mine broke at the ball where the cable comes in at the e brake pedel.

#15 ·
Same place. Cheap fix from O'Reilly's. Just waiting on the part. Getting it this weekend.

#16 ·
Same thing happened to me but luckily I was just backing up. PS fluid EVERYWHERE. Mine wore through the hose where it made contact with the shock tower. Make sure you check there and perhaps tie it back.

#17 ·
Yep, everything is pulled away from everything. There is and old piece of innertube between the hose and the zipties even.

#18 ·
wow. glad to hear you made it out ok.
might just want to get a new seat. could be cheaper than trying to clean all that out.

#20 ·
I had the same problem with my 01 chevy. The only difference is I had a gooseneck dump trailer hooked to me with about 10k of concrete rubble in it. Pucker factor yup:doh:

#23 ·
Wow I am going to go out and check this out here shortly. Thanks for the heads up.

#24 ·
Thread is a bit old, but I have something else to add...

99 7.3 w/ 210K, developed a power steering leak coming from the pump-to-boost hose, at the pump housing fitting. Well that's right next to the intercooler duct pipe, and mine was resting right against that fitting, even chafing the insulation.

So just that slight contact over the years ended up causing that fitting to leak.

When I replace that hose I'm going to rotate that duct a bit so it's away from that fitting. Something else you guys might want to take a look at...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.