Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Vibration????

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  rednick99 
#1 ·
Ok guys, I am fresh out of ideas about where my vibration is coming from in my 2003 F-250 6.0L. I feel it in the floor board on both the driver and passenger sides. I have just replaced the ball joints, hub assemblies, and the sway bar links. I have checked the U-joints in the drive shaft and the Hanger bearing. I also removed the the rear diff cover and the fluid looked brand new. I replaced the fluid anyway. The only thing that I have not done yet is check the balance in the tires which I plan to do within the next few days. I was just curious if anyway on here has run into this problem and came out with a cure. I am looking for any ideas. Thanks for your help in advance.

#2 ·
When you lifted your truck, did you set the driveline angle?

BTW, nice "coming soon" in your sig:D

#3 ·
i used to work at discount tire before i enlisted in the navy. you will get a vibration problem if the wheels and tires have not been properly balanced. however most of the time you will fell it in thte steering wheel. i have never heard of it causing a vibration in the floorboards.

#5 ·
If the angle between the diff and the driveshaft is too great, it will put stress on the U-joint there. U-joints are not meant to operate at angles larger than a couple degrees. The U-joint will bind up 2 times throughout 1 rotation if the angle is to great. This causes a noticeable vibration in the truck.

Setting the angle will consist of placing a tapered shim between the rear blocks and axle. The shim will tilt the axle until the angles between the diif and drivehaft are the same, or damn close.

I am not sure if an alignment shop will do it, but any place that lifts trucks will (or should). Can you get a picture of the rear end, where the driveshaft meets the rear axle?

#8 ·
Its kind of a bad pic, but thats all I can get right now.

View attachment 7297
Pic was ok. It doesn't look that bad but that is something I would check. I think you want them a close to even as possible. I can see some angle on yours...

#7 ·
you might check motor/trans mounts...the can cause vibration by shifting the driveline...

#9 ·
Really check the rear u joint, Mine had a vibration,u joints looked good but when I removed it it was bad. Just my two cents worth.

#11 ·
MP- I do have a 2 piece drive shaft, and yes it is a new problem. It just started about a week or so ago. Like I said earlier I bought the truck already lifted and it had 68,xxx miles on it now it has 74,xxx miles on it. So I think it is a safe bet to say that it is not lift related, but I wouldn't put money on it, lol.

Jdillon- I checked all the U-joints pretty well, and I also had somebody else check them to make sure I was seeing it correctly, and they said the same thing. But your saying that you checked yours and it felt ok, but when you took it apart it was clearly bad??

Also, has anybody heard of any known problems with the Mickey Thompson MTZ tires. The reason I am asking, is because that is what I was kinda leaning towards, maybe a possible tire seperating???

#12 ·
If it just started, then maybe the lift isn't the issue. However, the lift may have slowly damaged the u-joint. Just something to think about...

#13 ·
Ok, well should I just replace the very back u-joint and if that does not fix my problem then just work forward? Or would you just replace all of them and be done with it? Also, I am not sure if this changes things, but I just drove it to work and it has a clunk kind of noise to it. Does that still point you to the u-joints?

#14 ·
Does it clunk when put into gear? Or when going from forward to reverse?

#16 ·
Then I don't want to say it's U-joints and you end up replacing something that is good. I'm not sure where to go from here, but I do seem to recall a TSB about a clunk in the leaf-springed trucks...

#17 ·
Yeah, I was just talking to a friend of mine, and he told me to check out the bushing in the shackles, both front and rear. I mean, its a a clunk/vibration/rubbing noise. And for some odd reason, it is worse in a left hand turn. I can feel it in right hand turn and going striaght, but not as much as when I am turning left. IDK. This is why I am so confused.

#18 ·
Alright, so I went and layed under my truck for about 15 minutes or so, and I think I may have a solution, again. I was pushing on stuff and trying to make the noise and well pushing on the exhaust, I heard it. Now whether this is the mysterious noise or not, I don't know. I guess I will find out on the way home.

Also, can anyone tell me, what is the best way to tell if the motor/trans mounts are going bad? Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.