Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

How do I add oil only to my r12 system? I see oil injectors but...

10K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  crowz 
#1 ·
The oil injectors that I see on ebay say that the system must be under vacuum. I already have some r12 in the car and the system is still low on freon and I think it may be low on oil too. The freon that I have, does not have an oil charge. Any idea how to add just oil to a system that is partially charged?

#4 ·
Working on my 87 bmw. I am not positive as to how much to add. The car was very low on refrigerant, tripped the low pressure switch and I have r12 charge cans that do not have oil. I do have mineral oil and would like to somehow get it into the system. I am also in the process of tracking down the slow leak. Feel free to make suggestions as to how much oil to add or if I even need to add any at all. Thanks.

#5 ·
well if the leak isnt in a low pointe on the car,then the oil you had in there is stil in there,so just add freon,
but that is a bandaid,the proper way is to vac it down,fix the leak and add oil and freon,but r12 gonna run u about 50 an oz,you prolly need 3 1/2 ounces,

better to convert to r134a,they make a kit,that changes the ports,fron r12 type to 134a type,then you add oil that goes both ways,and fill with 134a ..wallla

#7 ·
Matt, do you know what the oil chargers look like? I see some that look like a metal syringes. I think that is what I may need.

#10 ·
Hold on just one minute. are you sure you lost any oil? loss of charge does not mean you lost any oil. do you see any oil anywhere? you are much better off with your ac compressor a LITTLE low on oil than having too much. I have only had to add oil to a car ac's compressor when the compressor was turned upsidedown when disconnected or had been drained. I use hand oil pumps that look very similar to a bicycle pump, but they cost about $150.00. you must be very careful not to get ANY air in the system as well. there is really no way on most compressors to check oil level.

#11 ·
I am not sure if I lost a lot of oil. I thought the oil would escape with the freon since they have a high affinity for each other. I am trying to track the leak down with a halogen leak detector. So far no luck, but I have no prior experience with this. Any suggestions? I am trying to avoid the dye. Some people cautioned that it may gunk up the system.

#12 ·
I wouldn't put any oil in it unless I could find some evidence that some had leaked out. UV dye won't gunk up your system. How Long does it take for it to loose it's charge?

#13 ·
I don't know for sure yet. It just didn't work this year. So, somewhere between Sept 08 and April 09 it leaked out. I have bubbles in the site glass now and minimal cooling. I don't want to fully charge it until I can chase this leak down. I tried the connections at the compressor and sniffed all around the compressor with the halogen detector, but no luck yet.

#14 ·
If your hunting ghost detecting freon leaks its usually the front seal on the compressor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.