Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

help please

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  1970something 
#1 ·
my truck is not shifting out of 1st gear untill im at 4000rpm. then when it does shift it is a really hard shift. like the truck jumps. the rest of the gears are fine also i will b driving along at about 45 and all of a sudden i loose power and it will cut off. then its a pain to start again. when i do get it started it idles rough and i have to keep my foot in it and nurse it home. when it sits for awhile, it will start and idle fine. the truck is a 89 f350 7.3 ats turbo 3 spd auto tranny. the motor is a rebuilt jasper and so is the tranny.

#2 ·
whats your fluid like? Does it smell burnt? Is it full when you leave your truck in Park and its warmed up and idling?

#4 ·
How did you get it to 4k? The loosing power sounds like when I had water in the fuel, changed the fuel filter recently? Is the vacuum deal on the pump set up right?

#6 ·
using a vacuum gauge, check to see how much vacuum the pump is pulling. the C6 trans will not shift properly with anything under 17-18 inches of vacuum.
you may also has the wrong modulator valve in the trans. there are 3 different modulators, and elevation will determine which one you use.

and just for the record, no one here will buy anything from jasper anymore. they did such lousy work that all the big shops got fed up with changing out their junk within 10k miles they just stopped using them and went back to local machine shops. you pay a little more, but it is worth it because the engines and trans last.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.