Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Question about compound turbos for street/tow

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  JAKE 
#1 ·
Well, I am looking at selling my current truck and getting a extended or crew cab....

I figure while everything is apart again ( going to keep my engine and swap it into the other truck ) I would look at adding a second turbo...

I know there are a few on here running a 38R with the 1.15 housing and then a second turbo, but since I am no turbo whiz I need some advice on what would work well.

I will take all the help, reading and pics I can get to help me gather my parts and understanding before I start this project...

I do not race the truck, nor do I sled pull.. We have a trailer and I use the truck on the street...

Thanks!!!
Bob

#2 ·
a 38r and 215cc hybrids should be fine to tow with, but if you have to go compounds a gt42 would probably work well on top of the 38r if your primary goal is towability. the gt4202 is a little bigger than a gt4294.

#3 ·
ive been told the gt42 is too small for atmosphere turbos, the gt45 gt 47 or the s400 should work well over the gt38 and hybrids. i was lookin into the 38 1.0/45 xx housing combo with 190cc hybrids

#6 ·
Hmmm...thanks guys... I have just started reading all I can find about compounds and such, so al this info realy helps!!!!

#9 ·
s475's with a t-6 1.32a/r housing can be found for less than $500 on ebay.

#11 ·
i'd go 80-85mm inducer for the atmosphere. remember, your secondary will bring the exhaust volume to a rather large quantity making spooling a 80+mm easy.

#13 ·
So how do you go about figuring out what size housings to go with other than trial and error???

#14 ·
there is some baselines to start with i cant get to the files on my other computer, theres alot with housings and wastegate settings that really make a differnce. i think its still alot of experimenting. there are soo many variables with fuel and tuning to get them properly setup, i wish there was a trick setup to be able to install and setup and be able to take the guess work and experimenting out of it but it does not seem like its here yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.