Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

08 axle in an 01

2K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  theSLEEPER 
#1 ·
Is it difficult to put an 08 rear axle into an 01? does anything need to be modified (leafspring mounts, shocks, etc.)?

Just wondering what it would take to do it.

#4 ·
Just a small part of a lot of possible changes. Just brainstorming right now. But thinking of doing either 05-07 or an 08+ complete suspension/axle swap :D Along with a few other things, but like i said, just brainstorming. But i do want to start collecting parts soon as i find good deals...

Shock mounts for sure. Up through 2004 the shocks were both on the rear of the axle. From 2005 on, one shock is forward and one rearward. Should just be able to remove the mount and reinstall in the desired place.
I believe the spring pads are centered the same. Only the Cab/Chassis version have wider a spacing, but that is the case with all model years.
What do you mean by that? And does that mean i can just re-use my u-bolts that are on now and the axle will bolt right into place w/ the springs without any modification? (aside from the shocks)

#3 ·
Shock mounts for sure. Up through 2004 the shocks were both on the rear of the axle. From 2005 on, one shock is forward and one rearward. Should just be able to remove the mount and reinstall in the desired place.
I believe the spring pads are centered the same. Only the Cab/Chassis version have wider a spacing, but that is the case with all model years.

#6 ·
I know... And im just looking at possibly doing an entire suspension/axle swap to a newer truck with coil front springs. But i have a pretty good idea what im looking at for the front, and i want to know what im looking at for the rear...

#8 ·
I put both axles and the front suspension from a '08 in my '97 so it can be done. You will need a few things nothing major. New custom parking brake lines or rob the '08 stuff..might be needed..

'08 rear has larger rear brakes I belive, never paid attention ...front sure has!

#15 ·
is there a width difference in the rear axles? I know the front is wider on the 05+ trucks but wonder about the rear. If the rears are wider I would do it to match em up but if they aren't wider no sense in even touching the u-bolts, could change diff fluid or something, maybe even add an 08 diff cover for the price it would cost in u-bolts and misc broken items.

Either way if you end up with an extra rear axle, here is what ya gotta do... I have got to build one of these... - Powerstroke Nation

#18 ·
I have access to some chevy 1/2 ton axles that i could make that with :D I dunno. I guess just keeping it for back up would work. I still want to know what it would entail if the time comes... Not to mention, i would have to change it if i find what i want... If i can find one with 4.10's :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.