Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Tuner, Downloader, or 6 Position Chip?

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  BDP Tuner 
#1 ·
Hey Y'all, I've done a bunch of things to improve this Excursion, and I just took it from Little Rock to Charlotte and back and its getting 18mpg actual. I have'nt done anything to the computer, but that is the next step to try and up the mpg a little more. Anybody got any advice on which way to go for an
'01 7.3?

#2 ·
Get yourself a chip from Swamps, DI, Wildman, Matt or PHP...

I have to ask... What is the EGR Re-route...

#3 ·
The stock EGR set-up had a short 5/8" hose going from the top of the driver side valve cover to a coupling in the air intake tube, upstream from the turbo. The coupling is about 3" long, and has a vent tube inside where the exhaust gas gets vented into the intake air. The way the coupling is made causes it to restrict the diameter of the air tube itself, by about 20 - 25%. I heard several negative things about this araingment, and I was in the middle of a bunch of other stuff in there so I fixed it while I was at it. To fix it I replaced the coupling with a piece of PVC from Home Depot - same diameter and length, swapped the direction of the deal on the valve cover 180 degrees to orient it towards the rear. Next I connected a 20' piece of hose and ran it down the inside of the chasis rail with all the other tubing there and stubbed it out behind the rear axel. There are several companies offering kits to do the same thing, The only difference is mine doesn't have any kind of catch device at the end of the tube. I could rig one but don't see the need. I run B-100 in this thing, and anything that comes out of it won't be very harmful.
Thanks for your suggestion!

#4 ·
I see... Its not a EGR, the 7.3 does not have a EGR. You modded the CCV (crank case vent), and that is a good mod to keep the oil out of your boots and such.

#5 ·
Gah! I gotta fix that on my signature, people will know how dumb I really am!

#6 ·
I had a customer in last week and with about the same mods and stock injectors he mabe 360HP on my tunes. After that he wanted more so we put stage 2's in it and it made 440HP with my tunes drove it to FL and back and loves it. I guess what I am saying is the TS chip with the right tunes is the best bang for the buck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.