Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1979 Ford SuperCab w/ PSD and Allison

89K views 161 replies 70 participants last post by  TimmyNiewald11 
#1 ·
Ok guys here is the skinny:

I've got all this junk laying around and decided it need to be bolted all together. The built motor has been removed from the red truck and I will freshen it up a bit in the upcoming months and tweak a couple features on it to make it a bit more friendly to being a DD/tow truck/drag racing/ exhibition puller. This is now just going to be a toy and a new puller will be built in the future - AFTER this truck is complete - so it will be a while guys. I'm bolting a 6 speed Allison tranny to the motor thanks to an adapter that Destroked made and was purchased through BDP. I have a set of axles from an '03 Dodge 1 ton that have been kicking around so they are going under this truck. I plan on using a modified 271 tcase to provide the 4 wheel drive. Front suspension is still up in the air - it could be 4 link, or it could be leaf - depending on what I think is going to be easier once I have the factory axle removed and the AAM in its place. I picked up a 1977 Supercab with some real good sheet metal that will be providing the body for the project.

Mock up motor and tranny:

Test fitting the motor and tranny into the 1979 frame:

Test fitting the Mock up Cab after the motor and tranny are "roughly" located:

Kind of looks at home in there huh?

Mock up Cab during positioning (threw a decent wheel in there to get an idea):

This is with no body lift and should be pretty well at final ride height in this picture.

1977 Truck that I will use the sheet metal from:

Next I need to fabricate the final engine and transmission mounts, gut the 1977 truck, and start installing the correct axles.

Final plans include a fully built tranny, custom one off injectors, some compound turbos, and :evil

See less See more
#19 ·
:whs::rockon: What color is it gonna be? That '77 is like the predecessor to my truck btw...

#12 ·
that thing is going 2 be awesome when its all said and done

#16 ·
Great looking project, good transmission choice too! I recently helped a pal build up a 78 cc/sb F-250 custom, but he left a damn rats nest under the hood (12v cummins). Nice looking truck, though.

#23 ·
Now that right there is sweet. I'm going to start gutting everything in the '77 next week and have it on the '79 chassis semi-permanently.

you suck jason i want one bad!! those **** on TRUCKS started molesting a nice ford the other day but thier putting the cab on a junky dodge drivetrain

Travis
I'll sell it to you Travis! I'll just build another :D I saw that they were going to start that project on TRUCKS, I have it recorded just to see if they give me any ideas but I think I just might cry.

#28 ·
Jason I still have this block & heads. Lots of misc parts if you need anything. starter, alternator, throttle pedal, fuel bowl...

#34 ·
The engine is out of my old pulling truck - it will be torn back down with some updates and tweaks :evil

No one ever said that a driver has to tame....... :poke:

In all seriousness, this powerplant should be pretty damn nasty - but there are things that I would like to do on a full comp motor that I will not be doing on this motor. I want to get this truck up and running and use it to prove some theories and have a BA driver. Plans for a new pulling truck for myself are there, but right now I need to get this driver built and running, plus a couple of other project trucks for some friends and family, then I will worry about the next project.

#38 ·
Waiting on a bunch of parts I ordered to build the 4 link suspension on the front. Everything is mocked up, but without the parts its hard to go much farther. Hopefully I'll pick up the rims and tires this week, and I am not sure where the joints I ordered from Ballistic Fab are.... I do have a lot of brackets that need designed, but I really didn't want to get into it too far until I have the joints.

#41 ·
Yes - I have heard that they can be slow at getting stuff out and I have seen enough of thier stuff in person to know its great stuff that is why I am not really all that upset at the moment. It'll be 3 weeks this weekend.

That's great, I wished I was close enough to give ya a hand sounds like its comming along nicely!

Keep us posted with pictures as it progresses.
Yeah I think it is coming along nicely - its a slow project to get started because of all the time it takes to get things laid out and make sure all this junk that wasn't every intended to go together fits and doesn't provide too much headache. Even though I don't have a lot of visual progress I know its moving along. Once I have some hard parts to double check some clearances and make sure it all looks like I think it should there should be some HUGE gains in visual progress.

When I get the rims and tires I'll take some more pics with everything mocked together. Going to be rolling on 18s with some 35x13.50 (metric equivelent) Baja ATZs :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.