Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

04' F350 Shuts off While Driving

11K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Blow-n-Smoke 
#1 ·
3 times today on the way to work.
The entire gauge cluster & radio shut off.
The engine still ran.
Turn signals (exterior) still worked.
Gauges in the gauge pod(s) still worked.
Any body point me in the right direction?
I can hear a relay of some sort click when it all turns off - I can hear the same relay click again when it all turns back on.

#2 ·
I had that happen twice. Once I had boost on too long when staging at a street light, and it went into limp mode, and I lost at least the tach and the speedo that I know of.

Second I had it happen once when I plugged my SCT in and tried doing livelink. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it went away.

3 times something else is definitely happening though... Hmmmm....

Sorry not much help, free bump.

#5 ·
What makes you say that a fuel problem would kill the entire cluster & radio?

We lost the tach and speedo on our 2000 once like that. Turned out to be the speed sensor on the rear diff. But if your losing ALL the gauges thats probably not your problem.
Interesting. I'll check it. I have no other options right now....

#4 ·
We lost the tach and speedo on our 2000 once like that. Turned out to be the speed sensor on the rear diff. But if your losing ALL the gauges thats probably not your problem.

#7 ·
No.

I pulled apart the dash, and removed the cluster. Removed and reinstalled all electrical connectors and made sure none of them were dirty or corroded.

Hasn't happened since....

#9 ·
Update:

Turns out it was a bad voltage regulator on the alternator. The gauge cluster has a circuit breaker some where inside from what it sounds like. It shuts off and saves it self until voltage is returned to normal.

#10 ·
dads same truck did that for a while. we went ahead and swapped the egr and cam sensor and sold the bully dog. now its fine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.