Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

First road trip with new truck EEK !!!

828 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  short_stuff 
#1 ·
And boy do I have a couple of gremlins. Drove to New Mexico from Dallas on Thursday for the holiday weekend. Everything was fine on the way there but boy o boy on the way back now thats a different story. I was pulling a 20' car hauler with 2 street bikes and a 4wheeler in it along with some tools and a couple of coolers basically not a whole lot of weight. Here is what it was doing. While on cruise control set at 75mph going up a slight hill the CEL would come on and its like the cruise control would shut off and drop to between 65 & 70 and then the cruise would kick back in and it would race back up to 75 sending my boost to 20psi and my egt's to 1200 and then it would do the same thing a couple of more times and then go back to normal. It was also doing this when I was using the pedal. We would hit a hill and have to stay on the gas but then it would just go limp and its like the power just went away and after a few seconds it would kick back in and be fine. Then later Sunday evening about 250miles from home while cruising along at about 70 the tranny jumped out of overdrive and redlined and then would bounce in and out of od and after doing that probably 10 times it settled back into od and was good for about another hour and did it again but this time the od light started flashing. We stopped to get gas one last time and when we restarted it the od light was off and it shifted alright until right before we got home but by then I didn't care anymore I just wanted to sleep. Now this morning fully unloaded on the way to work at slow speeds like 40mph its bouncing in and out of over drive. I know I need to see what codes popped up but has anyone come across anything like this? Also while cruising I would get a kind of muffled vacuum sound that would come on for a minute or 2 every 15 or 20 minutes anyone tell me what that is?

Thanks

See less See more
#4 ·
Never got above 190 but now that I'm thinking about it something weird happened. We ran into a storm and passing through this little town there were some intersections with some high water and flooding. Maybe like a foot or so deep. After getting through there and back onto the hwy I noticed my tranny temps had fallen to 130 or so and then slowly started rising back to 190. But after we went through this town is when my tranny started acting up.

That muffled vacuum is more than likely the EBPV engaging. There are several threads on here how to take care of that. Other than that, you'll need to get the codes pulled to help you where to start looking, for both the engine and transmission. When you hear that muffled vacuum noise, you'll lose tons of power. That could be part of your problem...

As far as popping in and out of O/D @ 40 MPH, thats where the PCM commands the shifts in and out of O/D. You just may be at a speed where it cant decide where it wants it. Try cruising just above or just below that speed to see if it changes.
I thought the EBPV could be the culprit but wasn't for sure. I've been meaning to unplug it.

#3 ·
That muffled vacuum is more than likely the EBPV engaging. There are several threads on here how to take care of that. Other than that, you'll need to get the codes pulled to help you where to start looking, for both the engine and transmission. When you hear that muffled vacuum noise, you'll lose tons of power. That could be part of your problem...

As far as popping in and out of O/D @ 40 MPH, thats where the PCM commands the shifts in and out of O/D. You just may be at a speed where it cant decide where it wants it. Try cruising just above or just below that speed to see if it changes.

#6 ·
Since you went through some water, maybe you got the plug a little wet up on the side of the transmission? I'd pull that off and check it to see if it is moist or not.

short_stuff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.