Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

BLOWN OUT Spearco, what to do????

5K views 63 replies 17 participants last post by  Slated4Greatness 
#1 ·
Ok first I would like to thank Casserly for getting me a new set of injectors because the 190's we just refreshed has kept having issues but the new set of 200's run great, and thanks goes out to First Coast Diesel for getting them in for me on Friday afternoon and only took them 2.5 hrs and the truck was hot!!

Well anyway before we changed the injectors I had dropped boost from 40 to 20 but I thought it was the injectors because there were missing and a hott start issue, but the new injectors in and starts great and its quiet and runs great just makes only 20psi. So I was looking all over for a leak and found the passenger side on the front side of the tank was blown out on the weld.

My question is does Speaco warranty these and give you a new one w/ the cast tanks and if so do I have to buy 1 and then get a refund or will they send me 1 out and me send this 1 back so my truck isn't down 2 weeks. I bought it from Dennis at ITP so maybe he can help me.

#3 ·
I will tommorrow but was just wanting to see if the others who have blown a Spearco out experinces were on getting it resolved because the end all final call comes from Spearco/Turbonetics.

#9 ·
Ok cool, I may see if I can just buy 1 and then get credited back for it when they get my return, we will see.

#6 ·
Yeah me and Adam talked about it, he didn't think it was a boost leak because we couldn't hear it, but I checked fuel pressure and everything else I could think of and then started looking at the tanks ends and finally found and spot about 4" long on the front passengerside that was ballooned out alittle and the weld was broken.

#7 ·
I'm sure they will warranty it...but in the end it might be faster to yank it out and have it welded up.
I split mine a month or so ago and a race car fab shop only charged me 50 bucks to weld it up...they walked the whole seam on that side and repaired a mounting tab that was cracked.
I was done and back on the road in about 3 hours total.
It was worth it over messing with warranty stuff and waiting on shipping..to me anyway.

#8 ·
Yeah that is what I was thinking of doing but was worried that it will just repeat itself somewhere else as time goes on, and also thought if it was repaired that Spearco maynot warranty it if it diod do it again.

#11 ·
I beleive Spearco replaces it w/ anew I/C that has cast tanks on it now.......someone correct me if I am wrong.

#14 ·
Funny thing is, before I bought my Spearco I asked everyone on here what the best IC was. They all had an orgasm over Spearco, so I bought it. "Welded end tanks are the way to go" "bar and plate design is the best out there" blah blah blah.

Then now all of a sudden the Banks Technicooler is supposed to be the sh!t. "Welded end tanks suck" blah blah blah.

#16 ·
Spearco is the way to go- give Dennis a call or even an email. If you weld/have it welded then I doubt Spearco will ever touch it if there's another problem. My Spearco came with the cast tanks and I'd say that you'd get the cast tank'd IC as the replacement. This is the reason that they went to the cast tanks so I honestly doubt that they'd send you an IC that has a known problem.
LOL or buy you a banks IC- I here that the sticker that comes with them are good for an extra 5-10hp- that is if you're brave enough to publicly drive the truck with it on it :D

#17 ·
Yeah I was just outside looking at it debating to pull it and fix it or get it replaced. It looks to be about 6-8inch break. I just have the feeling that it is going to happen again unless I have the weld shop strap it across the tanks about 3 times on each tank. At that point if it did pop again I know Spearco would say tough $hit, so I will call Dennis in the morning and maybe me and him can work out something so my truck wont be down 2 weeks or more trying to get this resolved.

Ofcourse I gave away my stocker!:doh: So maybe Dennis will sell me one and just take my replacement back or have it shipped to him.

#18 ·
Well Dennis at ITP is on it!!! Thanks Dennis for being so quick to respond. Hopefully Spearco will fix this.

#19 ·
It usually works a lot better if you call the people, and work a resolution before you go running your mouth about how their product failed you on a public forum.

It gives them a feeling like you just want a resolution and not just the feeling of something being forced into their anus like posting the failure on a forum does for them.

Or did you post it because you felt like blowing up an intercooler meant you were cool? Cause if information was what you wanted, a phone call was damn sure the best way to get it.

Just as a casual observer, it looks like attention whoring might be making it harder on you when it comes to vendor relations. I'm sure the people you are hoping will send you another intercooler love the possibility of a thread entitled "BLOWN OUT Spearco..." coming up on google.

If you played your cards a bit better you might not be as apt to leave a trail of burned vendors in your wake all the time.

Good luck with the cooler. I just couldn't help but point out the obvious. This thread should never have existed. A Monday phone call was all it should have amounted to. Maybe two calls at the most.

Best of Luck. Tact goes a long way in life.

(And I have zero love for Spearco/Turbonetics)

#20 ·
Well Charles you sir can get ####ED! I posted because it was sunday and I found the issue.......a KNOWN issue that has happened many times before. I don't think its cool to blow out anything, but it happens and I wanted to know if I should get it fixed or see if they warranty it. I wasn't downing any product or a VENDOR I simply posted up about a failure and I guess your saying I should have covered it up? cuz thats what it seems like. I guess I should have been a nice guy and called and got a new I/C and then posted how great Spearco is for replacing my I/C that didn't break.........your such a #### STICK!!!!!!

#32 ·
Um no, you shouldn't have posted anything at all.

:shrug:

You should have called on Monday, gotten the issue resolved and when the replacement came in, installed it. There was nothing to be gained in making the thread, except some twisted sense of leverage over them, in the fact that it was made public, so they had better make it right, or you'll bitch like a little girl in front of the diesel community.

I suppose it was none of my business. But then again, you brought it to the public arena, so I suppose it was also fair game.

My reasoning was in reference to the best way for YOU to conduct yourself in order to actually have a vendor want to work with you, and not want to run the other way when your name comes up. This thread is a perfect example of how not to get someone to want to help you out. Nothing to "cover up", nothing to hide, just how to have a little tact when it comes to dealing with a supplier.

JMO.

(And probably that of most everyone you've bought something from)

#22 ·
I also don't see you saying anything to Danny when he talks about the Spearco ballooning in his truck and waiting for it to blow.......guess you don't have the nuts to do that since he's a mod.

#27 ·
I just can't see where posting about a failed part is wrong, I didn't say they were junk or badmouth anybody just asked if I should fix or if they would warranty it, it has happened many times before on here that I have read about.

#28 ·
If I am wrong for posting this thread mods feel free to delete.....but I fail to see what was wrong.

#29 ·
you werent wrong to post it, you just wanted some info. Some guys just go off the deep end and badmouth a vendor or product before they contact who they got it through and try and get it fixed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.