Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

SCT - Detectable?

5K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  PROMMO 
#1 ·
I've been reading up alot on the SCT. Getting ready to do one on my truck. My questions are.....

I read somewhere that the SCT leaves no footprint on my 05. Does that mean the dealer will have no way of telliing that I had an SCT on my truck?

I always assumed they could pull it up on their computer and tell. Are there any other ways for them to tell?

#3 ·
Thats what I was thinking too. But another post I read sais that it didnt. Just trying to make sure.

#5 ·
SCT leaves traces, but not blatant.

Depending on the tune, the top of the piston will have a noticable pattern.

I took my truck in for an oil change a while ago when I was on a road trip (would normally do it, but don't travel with the equipment). For some reason they put it on the scanner and said that the PCM was reset. I just told them that I did some electrical work and disconnected the batteries.

If you know you will take it to a dealer, just return to stock a day or so before.

#9 ·
SCT leaves traces, but not blatant.

Depending on the tune, the top of the piston will have a noticable pattern.

I took my truck in for an oil change a while ago when I was on a road trip (would normally do it, but don't travel with the equipment). For some reason they put it on the scanner and said that the PCM was reset. I just told them that I did some electrical work and disconnected the batteries.

If you know you will take it to a dealer, just return to stock a day or so before.
You mean these:

:D

I don't think that they leave a footprint myself :shrug: If they do then they don't look for them or not every tech can find them :shrug: I have YET had a tech say a word about finding some "hidden code" while having warranty work done. Where is this code that it is supposed to leave? How do I find it with my NGS on my 2006? (updated for use with up to 2008 CAN)

The P1000 is the ONLY code that I could find with my NGS on my stock FICM after pulling the tune and as stated it's the same code as unplugging your battery. It's an I/M readiness code. If you go here to Power Hungry Perf. FAQ and scroll to the bottom to the last question it gives a description and a solution on how to get rid of it since it cannot be erased or just do like I do and tell them your battery went dead so you had to disconnect them to recharge them :shrug:

#6 ·
The SCT will leave a P100 code I believe. But it is the same code that disconnecting the batteries sets off. So all you have to do is tell them you disconnected the batteries for something. This however will only work for minor warranty claims.

If they are digging in the motor and stumble upon the pistons, they will be able to tell you were running a tuner, JMO.

#7 ·
P1000 is what it leaves, when you pull the SCT off, that is. The P1000 code is a code for the emissions monitors not running, when you drive a little while it goes away. You also get a P1000 from clearing DTC's.

#8 ·
actually the p1000 is mostly meaningless as said above it can come with a battery reset, or code clearing. Its the other codes that your sct can not pull up nor clear which are the real tell tale sign of a tuner being used.

I have not found any tuner that erases those codes, its kinda like how your tuner can not program the ficm, you don't have access to everything.

If someone is trying to get you on a p1000 then your lucky as they don't really know for sure and are not familiar with finding chip traces. However anyone who is skilled with an ids can tell you right away if it had a tuner. Aswell if they have a wireless ids with constant connection to ford all that will be uploaded to ford when they diag your truck.

#10 ·
If you have to go into the Stealership, i was always told to set it back to stock and drive it for a day or so and you shouldnt have a footprint, of course mines out of warranty anways so fuk the stealership LOL

#11 ·
If you have a check engine light concern concern reload stock config,
Drive the truck until concern happens ie: light comes back on or
driveabilty problem occur. This way u will same money and diag time.

Usually 5 hard accels and 30 min of driving AFTER operating temp is achieved
will clear p1000.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.