Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

ts performance chip

3K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  mattr66 
#1 ·
any good? they are pretty cheep....

Thanks

#3 ·
so is a ts like an edge? what im getting at is, is it not in the same catagory as dp and tw. its getting about time to buy a chip. i dont need custom tunes i just have intake, exhaust and gauges and probably stay that way for a while. 02 7.3 8 inch on 37's

Thanks

#6 ·
:whs: world of difference between canned and custom tunes. Also a lot safer for your eng & trans

#7 ·
I run a TS... Controlls my 230cc hybrids just fine... Stock bearly gets smoke giong.... Max setting Blacks out the road. But Custom tunes are next.

They work great, way better then a edge for $100 less.

#8 ·
would "custom" be live tuning or what?

#11 ·
I run custom tunes and ran them with just an intake and exhaust. I highly suggest getting them right away and not even bothering with the "canned" tunes that come on a TS chip. There are a alot of good venders out there that do custom tuning and most of them are sights sponsors.

Truck Source Diesel
Gearhead Automotive Performance
Power Hungery Performance
Tony Wildman @ Total Diesel Performance
Swamps

I suggest calling these venders and seeing which one you like then go with their tuning.

#12 ·
I ran canned tunes for a couple years with my TS and recently had Gearhead custom tune mine and it is a way different truck now.

#13 ·
If you call Dennis Perry at TS, tell him what you have and have him reburn you a few tunes you now have "custom" tunes. Unless your live tuned, you have generic tunes. Your getting "off the shelf" basic programs. Do you guys actually think these tuners are burning you a brand new tune for every dude that wants one? If two customers have basically the same set-up, they are both getting the same burn. Where is the custom in that?

#15 ·
I completely stand behind your post, Thuglike.

I can't sit back and let folks knock "generic" tuning like it's some mass-produced snack food. Has anyone ever looked at the programming from different "generic" tuning? How about different "custom" tuners? I can tell you that the "generic" programming holds a lot of similarities to "custom" tuning for a near-stock truck. Granted there is nothing in an Edge Evolution or a "generic" TS tuned chip to make your 238/100% singles work in your '02 towing rig so "custom" is the only way to go in that case.

On the other hand, a lot of generic tunes fool folks by giving an unacceptably oversensitive accelerator pedal and leave a little power on the table. However, they aren't super aggressive and are safe. In addition, the shifting is usually pretty unrefined with ungodly hard shifts. But the biggest problem is that your NVK4 isn't going to be changed into a PMT1 with a programmer.

EDIT:

Please don't get on me for these comments. I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination but the bad rap that some products get is uncalled for.

#16 ·
My tuning for the super duty trucks are somewhat "adaptive" when it comes to shifting and oil demands.... works a bunch better than the generic stuff that has come in the past.

I would say my stuff for the stock injector'ed trucks is better because it does somewhat adapt to the truck without the need for live tuning.

Custom tunes for bigger injectors:
Take Big_Strokers truck...... the first tune that was never live tuned made the best HP on the dyno that day. I was able to carry out the torque a bit better after live tuning but I never bested the first run power-wise.
I also bring all the fueling back into stock parameters at part throttle. So my "canned" tunes are all different between stock, 30%,80%,100% nozzles and A Code, B code or hybrid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.