Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Straight Pipe Help

2K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  jim dandy 
#1 ·
I was told that if you straight pipe a 6.0 that it will screw up the turbo over time.

Any input?:confused:

#2 ·
mines been straight piped for over a year now, no issues here. Oh and it sounds mean as hell

#3 ·
How many miles is that and do u know if that would help with pulling a trailer?

Thanks

#4 ·
first off, do you have aftermarket exhaust? I have 4in turbo back straight piped and it will help lower your egts somewhat. I have 125k on her, im not really sure what the mileage was when i straight piped it. hope this helps some

#5 ·
Why would it hurt the turbo?

It could only help with lowering EGT's, and like already said, it sounds awesome! DO IT!

#8 ·
The exaust is still stock, I was going to go with a 5 inch turbo back and straight pipe it.

#10 ·
Well the guy told me that the VGT turbo needed the back pressure.

#11 ·
I have my '05 straight piped from the turbo back. Sounds mean as heck and zero problems.

James
RSD

#14 ·
Thanks

#15 ·
Sorry it took so long Jim, i talked 11 or 12 different guys and they said the only way you are going to negatively effect it is by putting an exhaust on that is too large coming off the turbo causing you to loose your drive pressure (back pressure) that helps get the turbo spooled, but that's true with any turbo. If you get an exhaust kit, that issue has already been taken into consideration so you should be good to go

#17 ·
Actually that's not true of any turbo. The VGT controls backpressure not the downpipe or exhaust size. VGT turbos are a very different animal than a standard fixed geometry turbo. Nonetheless, you will not see any negative effects from running a straight pipe on a 6.0 other than aggitated neighbors.

#16 ·
Do you know where i can get a muffler delete pipe?

#18 ·
Am i being told incorrectly then? i was told that the vanes varied depending on throttle position and that it was designed that way to reduce turbo lag. They control backpressure also? like i said i don't know much about the 6.0's but from the sounds of it i should check better sources :doh:

#20 ·
What is a good exhaust for towing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.