Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Strait pipe or not?

2K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  J HO 22 
#1 ·
Currently I have my stock exhaust with a hallow cat, and a magnaflow diesel muffler. It is still fairly quiet so my question is this: Should I just strait pipe or, is there a better muffler that will add a little more sound?

#2 ·
OH hell ya strait pipe that bad boy...I did mine the second day I had it...sounds soo good.

#4 ·
I like the sound of a strait pipe at WOT, but a part throttle the VGT sounds like a massive hair dryer. How is yours at part throttle?

#5 ·
LOL ya it kinda dose especially sice mine is an 03 6.0...but at idle it screams for a few seconds and then it turnes into a rumble sound awesome at half throttle ya it's alot of whistle...but you have a 2006 it might sound a little beefier.

#7 ·
I ran mine for about a mile with just a down pipe while I was hallowing my cat out and it sounded horrible unless I was in it hard. Do you think it will sound better with some piping to it? If it sounded like it did with just a DP, I will be putting the muffler right back...

#8 ·
I think it would sound better with some piping to it...but it's what you want your truck to sound like. mean or modest.

#9 ·
Oh yeah it will sound alot better once you add some pipe to it i ran mine out in front of the back right tire before i got my miters.

#10 ·
Well once you add the pipe to it it will take away so much of the drone and harshness if thats what you are wondering.

#11 ·
ya I take road trips all the time and you can't even hear it doing 70mph

#13 ·
I got the cat removed but kept the muffler and like the sound, if I am not in it (above 2500rpm) there isn't much change, just a bit deeper. At WOT its friggin LOUD though. Highway cruising its just perfect.

Definitely takes a bit of getting used to the sound of a hopped up/opened up 6.0. Its not really a diesel sound but much more like a big block gasser. It is still growing on my but I am starting to like it for what it is.

#15 ·
Alright, when my tip gets in from Dpp I will pull the muffler when I install the tip. I will see if I like it or not.

Edit: is there a muffler delete pipe for the stock piping? It would be kinda cool just to do a quick swap of them. Or does anyone have a stock muffler pipe? I will strait pipe my pipe, then reinstall the stocker if I need to.

#16 ·
Straight Pipe that B*TCH!!! Mine sounds mean as hell when im getting on her!

#17 ·
definitely gotta ditch the stock muffler and cat, aftermarket muffler will be a lot better if you don't like it straight piped. Either way that stocker has to go, thing is friggin huge adn can't be doing much good on the inside for flow.

#18 ·
I have a magnaflow diesel muffler, and a hallow cat. It sounds good but it's not to loud. That is why I started this...

#19 ·
Also you have 2 keep in mind the new CA emission laws that are sopposed 2 come out:shrug:

#20 ·
That is why I hallowed my cat, and why I want a muffler delete pipe I can swap back and forth.

#21 ·
GO with turbo back full exhaust.... I have a 5" BD and it freak'n is nasty when I want to be and tamed for all other occasions. At idle the truck sounds like a turbine jet engine. It's mean now but it costs a lil more than st8 flow. Str8 piping is like putting glasspacks on a damn old f150.:eek:

#22 ·
I just can't stand to pay so much for a turbo back. I will get one eventually, but I am going to strait pipe for now...

#23 ·
I love the straight pipe on mine. Not too loud driving around town, but get on it and every one around you goes deaf.

The guy who did mine literally chopped off the exhaust between the down pipe and the tail pipe and put in an 8ft piece of 4" straight exhaust stock. It acts like a big resonator.

#24 ·
Well I did it today, along with my new 5" tip from DppPower! Must say I am liking the sound, so loud at WOT I can't believe it! Mileage for this tank is going down the toilet LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.