Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Who All On Here is a Mechanical Engineer?

4K views 53 replies 33 participants last post by  imelmo 
#1 ·
Just curious who all on here is a mechanical engineer? Seems like I've seen quite a number of people mention that they either are, or are in school to be one.

#2 ·
In school to be one. I got a job as a draftsman for the company I work for now and they offered to pay for my schooling if I would go. Our current engineer is getting close to retirement and they want me to take his place.
Is that what you do? Mechanical Engineering? If so what specifically?

#5 ·
Whats the difference between a Civil Engineer and a a Mechanical Engineer??

Mechanical engineer builds weapons, civil engineer builds targets.

#12 ·
Whats the difference between a Civil Engineer and a a Mechanical Engineer??

Mechanical engineer builds weapons, civil engineer builds targets.

the difference is that a civil engineer does survueying land and a mechanical engineer designs anything that moves. like backhoes, cars, anything that has to do with machinery. i am going to school for chemical engineering and a masters in buisness managment.

civil engineers do not build targets they use targets when the map out land and see how much dirt need to be removed to make it flat before you put a road down. Mechanical engineers dont only build weapons.

#6 ·
I would ask Nigel(389sixpack).

#20 ·
HAHA - Yes I dabble.

the difference is that a civil engineer does survueying land and a mechanical engineer designs anything that moves. like backhoes, cars, anything that has to do with machinery. i am going to school for chemical engineering and a masters in buisness managment.

civil engineers do not build targets they use targets when the map out land and see how much dirt need to be removed to make it flat before you put a road down. Mechanical engineers dont only build weapons.
Youngsters - that joke went right over your head!!

sorry, was a joke guess it didn't come accross that way.

I am a civil engineer, my school had mechies, and electro mech majors as well, pretty much all of us knew the joke.

By targets I think its refering to bridges, causeways, roadways, buildings (we cover structural engineering) just about any structure. Can't see all the pipes or utilities or basic infrastructure work we cover either.

but this thread is about mechanical engineers so I will bow out.
Yes, good joke that I live by!! LOL

And if I have a coordinate, we can take out all your underground pipes, utilities, bunkers too! :doh: :D

Yes Danny, MaE, ME, EE - What do you want?

#7 ·
I'm a certified Afro-Engineer does that count?

#11 ·
Degree in ME here and don't use it at all for work...

#14 ·
I'm trying to work my way through a Construction Engineering Managament degree. More Civil, but if I don't get a job relatively close to or after graduation, I'll probs be gettin a masters in Hydro or Road Engineering.

#18 ·
I was a mechanical engineer for Tier 1 GM supplier, we designed the lines for about half of GM North American plants, that is until they cost cut and we went from 200 people to 15, and I am not one of them. But entire place had to take 20% pay cut and are only working 32 hours. No big deal though, I only drive FORDS and never liked GM anyway :ford:

#21 ·
Not an engineer, but work with alot of them making what they dream up or draw on paper actually work. Seems as close as you can get to work without getting dirty. (glad they do it , i cant draw very well). we have to have engineered plans for alot of our boiler,chiller, tower, replacements and such. don't know how hard the biz is to break into though.

#32 ·
Well, I'm just saying - there's probably more than one hair salon in town - and I'm just saying! LOL Classic!!

hahaha yes another good one, only had to read the first line to know where it was going lol. Civil's don't got a clue LOL I went with it mostly with hopes to be able to play in the dirt lol, now I am stuck in an office 40hours a week :doh:

Nigel, I can dig up some coordinates for South Boston for ya, we are making plans for replacing some nice 100+ year old pipes down there and seperating the drainage from the sewer so people aren't getting sewage floods in their basement during heavy rains. Maybe you could help with this LOL
We don't sort or seperate, but I can leave a series of very nice holes in the ground just where ya want them! LOL :hehe:

#25 ·
My brudder is going to NC State for mechanical engineering this fall. :rockwoot: I would love to do the same, but just aint smart enough. Ill prolly settle for a degree with something in agriculture.

#26 ·
Three engineering students were gathered together discussing the possible designers of the human body.
One said, "It was a mechanical engineer. Just look at all the joints."
Another said, "No, it was an electrical engineer. The nervous system has many thousands of electrical connections."
The last said, "Actually it was a civil engineer. Who else would run a toxic waste pipeline through a recreational area?"

#28 ·
hahaha yes another good one, only had to read the first line to know where it was going lol. Civil's don't got a clue LOL I went with it mostly with hopes to be able to play in the dirt lol, now I am stuck in an office 40hours a week :doh:

Nigel, I can dig up some coordinates for South Boston for ya, we are making plans for replacing some nice 100+ year old pipes down there and seperating the drainage from the sewer so people aren't getting sewage floods in their basement during heavy rains. Maybe you could help with this LOL

#27 ·
currently attending UAH (University of Alabama in Huntsville) for Aerospace Engineering.

#30 ·
If I could go back and start over, I would go to school for some kind of engineer. Even if it was a train engineer.

#34 ·
registered Mechanical Engineer here. (undergrad degree in Mining Engineering, got my PE in mechanical)

#36 ·
Top 10 reasons to date an engineer:
10. The world does revolve around engineers. They choose the coordinate system.
9. They know how to handle stress and strain in a relationship.
8. They have significant figures.
7. They understand the motion of rigid bodies.
6. They know its not the length of the vector that counts, but how you apply the force.
5. Engineers specialized in experimentation.
4. High starting salary. Your parents will approve.
3. Learn about the benefits of friction and viscosity.
2. Find out what those other buttons on your calculator do.
1. They know the right hand rule!

"For an optimist the glass is half full, for a pessimist it's half empty, and for an engineer is twice bigger than necessary."

Top 10 reasons to NOT date an engineer:
1. T-shirt and jeans are their formal dress. Hot dog and a six-pack is their seven-course meal.
2. The only social life known of is to post and talk on the net.
3. Flames like a monster and speaks like a #####cat.
4. Works from 6:30am to 7:30pm daily. No morning kisses and no evening walks.
5. No matter how hard you cry and how loud you yell, he just sits there calmly discussing your emotion in terms of mathematical logic.
6. Only listens to classic rock. Hates everything from Bach to Prince.
7. Touches his car more often than you.
8. Talks in acronyms.
9. Can't leave that damn pencil off his ear for a minute.
10. Will file a divorce if you call him in the middle of debugging.

"You can't spell Geek without EE."

"Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet." — Scott Adams.

You Might Be An Engineer If...

* —You have no life - and you can PROVE it mathematically.
* You enjoy pain.
* You know vector calculus but you can't remember how to do long division.
* You chuckle whenever anyone says "centrifugal force".
* You've actually used every single function on your graphing calculator.
* It is sunny and 70 degrees outside, and you are working on a computer.
* You frequently whistle the theme song to "MacGyver".
* You know how to integrate a chicken and can take the derivative of water.
* You think in "math".
* You've calculated that the World Series actually diverges.
* You hesitate to look at something because you don't want to break down its wave function.
* You have a pet named after a scientist.
* You laugh at jokes about mathematicians.
* The Humane society has you arrested because you actually performed the Schrodinger's Cat experiment.
* You can translate English into Binary.
* You can't remember what's behind the door in the engineering building which says "Exit".
* You have to bring a jacket with you, in the middle of summer, because there's a wind-chill factor in the lab.
* You are completely addicted to caffeine.
* You avoid doing anything because you don't want to contribute to the eventual heat-death of the universe.
* You consider ANY non-engineering course "easy".

"Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet." — Scott Adams.

* When your professor asks you where your homework is, you claim to have accidentally determined its momentum so precisely, that according to Heisenberg it could be anywhere in the universe.
* The "fun" center of your brain has deteriorated from lack of use.
* You'll assume that a "horse" is a "sphere" in order to make the math easier.
* The blinking 12:00 on someone's VCR draws you in like a tractor beam to fix it.
* You bring a computer manual / technical journal as vacation reading.
* The salesperson at Circuit City can't answer any of your questions.
* You can't help eavesdropping in computer stores... and correcting the salesperson.
* You're in line for the guillotine... it stops working properly... and you offer to fix it.
* You go on the rides at Disneyland and sit backwards to see how they do the special effects.
* You have any "Dilbert" comics displayed in your work area.
* You have a habit of destroying things in order to see how they work.
* You have never backed up your hard drive.
* You haven't bought any new underwear or socks for yourself since you got married.
* You spent more on your calculator than on your wedding ring.
* You think that when people around you yawn, it's because they didn't get enough sleep.
* You would rather get more dots per inch than miles per gallon
* You've ever calculated how much you make per second.
* Your favorite James Bond character is "Q," the guy who makes the gadgets.
* You understood more than five of these jokes.

A college student was crossing a road one day when a frog called out to him and said: "If you kiss me, I'll turn into a beautiful princess".
He bent over, picked up the frog and put it in his pocket. The frog spoke up again and said: "If you kiss me and turn me back into a beautiful princess, I will stay with you forever"
The student took the frog out of his pocket, smiled at it and returned it to the pocket. The frog then cried out: "If you kiss me and turn me back into a princess, I'll stay with you and do ANYTHING you want". Again the man took the frog out, smiled at it and put it back into his pocket.
Finally, the frog asked: "What is the matter ? I've told you I'm a beautiful
princess, that I'll stay with you forever and do anything you want. Why won't you kiss me ?"
The man said, "Look I'm an engineering student. I don't have time for a girlfriend, but a talking frog is cool."

"Boring: See Engineers." — From the Yellow Pages.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.