Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

06 Supercrew - 4 - 10's or 4 - 12's......thoughts???

9K views 55 replies 20 participants last post by  jdc753 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I'd like to first off say sorry for being so wordy, but I just picked up a 2006 F-350 Supercrew and am looking into putting something REALLY LOUD in the truck. (love the diesel sound, but love my tunes too) :rockwoot:

I've seen boxes that have triple shallow 10's or triple shallow 12's, but after doing some measuring and being pretty savvy in the woodshop I believe I can pull off 4 subs behind the rear seat. I have found I can get about .5cf per sub and Pioneer Premier makes both 10" and 12" shallow subs which I would like to use.(unless someone can make another suggestion)

I'd like to squeeze the 12's(.5~1.0cf) in there for the most woofer area but fear they are going to be in too small of an enclosure, verses the 10's have less requirements(.35~.7cf).
Link to 12" sub - LINK
Link to 10" sub - LINK

This may sound like a no brainer to go with the 10's but I want something LOUD and hit low and don't know if the 10's will be capable.

Anyone have any experience with this???

Thanks in advance.
Andy

See less See more
#3 ·
It may be beneficial to go with only 3 subs which would give you more air space for each. 3 subs in the right size box will sound better than 4 subs in a box that is too small. Id go with 12's. I have had both and 12's are just better. :poke:

#4 ·
2 of each would work if you get the shallow mount style subs..but you are limited for space behind the seat with the power slider, a custom box can be made to accommodate the slider.. or you could do 2-10's or 12's behind the seat on the opposite side of the power slider and then do a under seat box with the other 2 speakers.

#6 ·
I'm relocating the power slider or eliminating it all together so there will be no obstructions. Under the seats are going to hold my amps. :)

As for mixing the subs I heard that to keep them all the same size but I could be wrong.

#7 ·
If you care about sound quality... It is damned difficult to tune a pair of 10s and a pair of 12s and have them sound good... Go all 4 of either. If you are worried about volume then just get a coupple good 12s (read not shallow mount) and figure a way to make them fit...

Sam

#10 ·
A buddy of mine is running 4 Boston acoustic 10s and it sounds awesome. Good clean sound and hits hard when you want it too. Not sure what size amps he's running, bitbi can ask him if you'd like

#14 ·
If you get a good set of 12's they will pound your truck you really dont need 4 you wont have enough air space well good luck man

#15 ·
Definitely not much room to work with behind the seat, but by the numbers 0.5 ft^3 for 4 subs does work but its getting tight for sure.

You could always order the 4 and build a box for 4 and then if its not to your liking drop down to 3.

With each sub seeing less airspace the lowend response will be the first to fall off, you can feed em a bit more power but will run into thermal issues. Little bit on the larger side of box size should net some harder lows with some more authority. In the right space the subs shouldn't be boomy

I ended up going a completely different route after taking measurements and such and went for more of a SQ style setup with a single 12" in the center console and my amps and other stuff behind the back seat after getting discouraged with the limitations.

Are you going to remove the power window motor completely? or work around it? If your removing it what are your plans for the cab vents? I hear mixed reviews on removing the vents. I ended up trimming them down so they were a uniform 3/4" off the back wall and worked around them.

Also if your mounting the amps below the back seat and looking to run some larger power wire 1/0 or so I would recommend going along the frame and popping into the cab with one of the 3 grommets on the cab floor just before the floor jumps up in the back for the cab mounts. They are perfect size to fit 1/0 wire with some split loom.

#16 ·
Are you going to remove the power window motor completely? or work around it? If your removing it what are your plans for the cab vents? I hear mixed reviews on removing the vents. I ended up trimming them down so they were a uniform 3/4" off the back wall and worked around them.

Also if your mounting the amps below the back seat and looking to run some larger power wire 1/0 or so I would recommend going along the frame and popping into the cab with one of the 3 grommets on the cab floor just before the floor jumps up in the back for the cab mounts. They are perfect size to fit 1/0 wire with some split loom.

Thanks JDC

I plan on relocating the motor to on top of the box if possible or take it out all together. On the vents I plan to trim them back, but if they start to get "in the way", I'll take them out.

I will be running 1/0ga power wire to the sub amps/caps and 4ga to the high amps, so having those grommets will really help. My old 05 F-150 had the same thing and helped tremendously.

Looks like I'll be getting the 10's for now over the 12's due to cubic feet regulations, but if Stereo Integrity releases there new BM 12, I'll be picking those up. Stereo Integrity 12" shallow mount subs

#18 · (Edited)
nothing is going to hit very low in that small of airspace. i would probably go with 1 12" ported if you actually want a little lows in there. there is a guy on here or powerstroke.org that builds boxes for them. you cant make a box under the seat either on these trucks, plus you will probably have to mount your amps there. my advice would be to have someone build you a small fiberglas box for your console and throw a 8w7 in there. my friend had that in his old truck and loved it. he just got the 13tw5 and hates it. said the 8w7 was way better. ive heard 2 12" pioneer shallow mount woofers in my dads 06 and it sounds ok. i think the daimond shallow mount woofers are much cleaner than the pioneer ones and are cheaper than the JL's so take a look at them too. good luck.

#20 ·
I am running 4 P1 10's right now in my truck and it is loud and deep. I am getting ready to pull that box out and build one that will have only 3 10's and one huge port.

#21 ·
have you flipped the seat brackets to get more room behind the seat? The 05+ trucks got pretty much nothing behind the rear seat. I forget the exact bottom depth but I am pretty sure the max dimensions behind the rear seat in the 05+ trucks is 17"H x 60"W x 3" D (top) and I think about 8" D (bottom) This leaves you with only about 2.08ft^3 when using 3/4" material, with a best of about 5-5.75" of mounting depth.

Post up some pics when ya rebuild it though, always good to see what guys are doing inside their trucks, we usually only get to see the outsides.

#22 ·
Yes I did have to flip the brackets around. That is one of the main reasons I am going back and putting 3 10's in. So I can put the seat back in the stock location. I had having my rear seat that close.

#23 ·
my pops has 4 10 inch jl w1 behind his seat, sounds good hits hard but my ears like 12s more, my buddy had 3 12 rockford p1's behind his rear seat in his cc sd and i liked it alot more

#25 ·
If that were the case, I'd wall off the back and run 4 Kicker WarHorse WX10000.1 & 4 18" Solo X's in a coffin of a box. :evil

But I digress and don't want to get off subject.

#34 ·
You can unbolt the back seat, and move it forward, drill new holes, and bolt it back in. thats what I did to fit my 2 12" TREOs, full size subs. My friend did the same thing, just moved his seat further, and he fit 4 12" TREOs behind his. Ive also got a 3000 watt amp, and let me tell ya, its pretty f in loud. Course, it aint my friends, he has 6000 watts, its just rediculous.

#35 ·
got any pictures of this? I would love to see it, subs and the relocated seat.

Should be able to SQUEEZE treo SSi 10's behind the seat without moving it, would be tight but should work. Its what I was gonna go with before giving up on behind the seat, 4 works on paper but was gonna do 3 to keep a little more internal volume.

#37 ·
The first pic is my friends truck with the 4 12s, second is his showing how it looks, the third is my truck seat bracket, unlike BigKid, I moved the whole bracket, it works, so its just preference, last is my amps under my seat, obviously you have to remove the metal plates under the seat. Now, his truck is a 2000 7.3, in his we just flipped the brackets on the seats, on mine we had to move the whole thing, it gives the same amount of space, so 4 12s will fit. He is actually getting rid of the 12s, then hes going to fit 2 15s, so it will just be beyond rediculous. If you want more, just ask.

Attachments

#39 ·
idk what frequency, but he has 6000 watts and has blown the box apart 3 different times.

#41 ·
yea, his stripped 3" woodscrews out, its just redivulously loud.

#45 ·
I always used both... Don't anyone who knows what they are doing that doesn't use glue...

Sam

#46 ·
Yea, his box was both screwed and glued.

#47 ·
Id just use all the space and run 2 12 Kicker Solo L7. If you had room to make 2 vents you could surely make 2 l7s hit harder than whatever else you was tryin to fit in there.

#50 ·
Dang, 5.25", you can almost run the TREO RSX's, their at 5 5/8".

#51 ·
SSi 10's would work and will handle almost twice the power. I was gonna try and run 3 of them behind the seat before.

I wonder if the mounting depth on those RSX's is including that rubber boot on the motor or if it is with the boot removed. I know on the Phoenix Gold RSD subs (will work also) that the mounting depth is listed when the boot is removed.

EDIT: looks like the RSD's might have changed a bit, or they just aren't mentioning it, listed as 5-3/8" mounting depth but doesn't say if that is with or without the motor cover.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.