Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Duramax ?

1K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  OVERSTROKED 
#1 ·
My girlfriend just got a 04 and was wondering what would be a decent tuner/chip to throw on for every day driving and pulling our horse trailer on the weekends. Not looking for tons of power, just reliability and something to wake it up a good bit.

Ive never messed with the duramax's much other than throwing a edge on my cousins, and rode in a friends with a ppe tuner so Im looking for oppinions.

Thanks

#3 ·
PPE all day. Got a bud with the PPE and nitrous, and all the supporting mods, runs 7.90's. I know you said you didnt want anything too hot, but it will definately wake it up. lol

#10 ·
PPE can be trans friendly if you stay on the lower settings - That would be my choice if you don't want to go EFI live. EFI live is as mild or as hot as you want it to be because it IS the software to modify all the tables the way you want them. An 04 can get a 5 position switch to use the EFI live if you desire and can be switchable on the fly. I really wish I had that kind of ability in the 06.

PPE is your quick and easy. EFI Live is good if you ever think you want to tinker further. If you go EFI Live pick a good vendor to get some base tunes from with your purchase and you will be happy.

#12 ·
Haha I cant afford to keep my rag running and buy a banks kit for hers when a programer is only $500 and you get twice the performance.

#15 ·
Id go with efi live and some basic custom tunning from a good dealer. PPE is nice but do you want to always stop and have to reprogam the ecu everytime you want a different power level?? EFI live will be worth it in the long run . Its worth the extra money$$

#24 ·
Who sells the software and everything for efi, who can you get tunes from? Is there something special I need to get with efi to tune it myself? Sorry for all the questions Ive just never had any intrest in the duramax's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.