Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

cracked exhaust manifold?

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Charles 
#1 ·
How common is it to crack an ex. manifold? Rough night at the pulls last night. Ended up with 4th behind 3 05+ dodge's. front brake caliper hung up on the drive home that bad that it was lighting up the road so i had to pull over and pound on it and it let go, then 2 miles from home i got on it a little let off and started hearing a weird sound, got to noticing that it was only under load. So I'm thinking its an ex. problem as it sounds like my dads 5.4 when it cracked. Hopefully thats all it is :) Havn't had time to really look at it it was 1am when i got home and i have a wedding today. So just wanted to know how many of you have had a manifold crack so i can narrow my search down a little.

#3 ·
I just got my up-pipes installed thurs night, so i'm thinking maybe i have a leak where the up pipe bolts to the manifold, It has to be a small one because i'm still building boost.

#6 ·
My right side manifold cracked, yeah it sounded like a typical 5.4 with an exhaust leak. Still made 45+psi cracked between cylinders 3 and 5.

Dave

#7 ·
Get a new manifold and ceramic coat the inside only with something like that crazy white stuff.

That, combined with stainless bolts and stainless lockwashers has proven to be the solution for me. Nothing else worked. Oh, and exhaust manifold gaskets.

#8 ·
Charles did you torque your stainless bolts to factory spec? I used gaskets and just have stainless flat washers, no locks and the bolts keep loosening a little, but I didn't torque them to spec because I wasn't sure if the bolts being stainless would break or not.

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.