Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Haul for heir in new hampshire?

3K views 36 replies 13 participants last post by  Rob02F350 
#1 ·
hey!

so i graduated college... sent out 22 job resumes... and every follow up call is the same... "we had to lay off people and can not heir at this time" or "it's to slow to heir a new technician"
:mad:

i have bills comming in the mail and need a job... yes i have filled out a TON other applications.. (walmart, shaws, sears... etc) and no reply.

so, i know theres a good amount of people that haul for hire... anyone need another driver? or trailer & driver? i actually have no problem driving 12-17 hours straight :doh: from making tips home from college... so yeah. any help to maybe getting going with that... would be greatly appreciated

thanks

-Rob

#6 ·
Best bet around these parts would probably be hauling cars. Not sure what is available for company jobs, or even for starting out on your own though. I am looking into this pretty much the same for a side job. CDL is definitely a big plus for sure.

#8 ·
went to college for Heavy duty diesel technology. did my 6 months of that... 5-6 days a week, 4pm to 2 am. then 3 months of business management and got my technical associates degree in HD diesel. no screwing off. no time to. ha ha. some people did.. got caught.. got thrown out, not many questions asked. even finished in the top's of my classes. ha ha

CDL is in progress, reading the manual for the paper test.. then just need to find a truck to take the test with.. anyone know the CDL laws...? Can i have a CDL-B with air brake endorsement ride with me in a tractor with no trailer?? ( to do "practice" and the test with)

pass the piss test LOL im so lame i dont drink.. dont use tobacco, dont use drugs.. 99.5% time even advil! the only "drug" i have in my system is Caffeine from lots of coffie :evil

little bit of dyslexia... not as bad as when i was younger...

yeah, so searching for connections...:poke: will drive hours & hours on end.. no damage on driving record... lol

#9 ·
If your hauling anything, involved with the DOT you cannot go over your 10 hours driving (even if you can) or 11 hours on duty. Then you have to log another # of hours off duty or sleeper berth before it starts over.

Like said start with a CDL, go with a class A with an air brake endorsement to keep your options open.
Also if I were you I would look for a job either driving a tractor/trailer for someone or some company, or under someone. If you want to use your truck and trailer and start out you'll need funding for MC numbers which give you your operating authority, DOT numbers which are free, Load insurance which is required with operating authority (basically hauling "For Hire" or other peoples crap), also need liability insurance (Load insurance is generally 1/4 million in load coverage, and liability is over that somewhere). Have to meet ALOT of DOT requirements (fire extinguisher, annual truck inspection, maintenance report, driver record, log books, pre trip inspections, off the top of my head).

You would also need a trailer that has the ability to haul whatever (cars, oilfield, construction, equipment, general freight) the more versatility/ the more you fit on the trailer the more profit. Lots of costs wrapped into tie downs like strap, rachets, binders, chain, tarps.

Sorry if its confusing, its late and I tried to sum up everything involved in hauling for hire as detailed and briefly as possible. :hehe:

#12 ·
If your hauling anything, involved with the DOT you cannot go over your 10 hours driving (even if you can) or 11 hours on duty. Then you have to log another # of hours off duty or sleeper berth before it starts over.
Old regs, hours of service changed a couple years back. Max is 11 driving, 14 on duty including any breaks. Going off duty no longer stops the on duty clock.

LINK TO FMCSA SUMMARY

#10 ·
Trailerhauler is 100% correct about everything.
I've been a truck driver for 14 yrs. I looked into hauling with my
f350, a good place to look is Uship.com this is a site for people who
want to ship, and people who are looking for the jobs, using their own equpiment. HOWEVER,,,, you still have to meet all the DOT Regs.

personally if you want to drive, you should go get your class A, there are a lot of OTR co's. that train you for free, well actually you get a reduced pay so you do pay them back, but you will make some money as well. Usually the training for OTR is 3-4weeks, then you're either on your own, or you can team up with another driver.

good luck,

John

#11 ·
thanks for the information guys.

i actually had a guy come over today. one of my dads friends, and ask me if i could go pick up a 2001 jeep grand Cherokee with the trailer for him. i said Sure can!

made a trip, 45 min down... 50 min back. 60 miles on the nose. and 60 bucks in the pocket.

LOL easiest 60 bucks ive made in a LONG time. all i had to do was drive... chain it down.. drive.. un chain.

got the CDL book the other day, started reading threw it. nota problem. any one know where i can rent a tractor for a week or 2? my dad has a CDL-B with air brake. so technically he can drive the tractor, with a trailer under 10,000lbs so i have the "trainer" he use to have Class A, but didnt want to pay the extra so went with B because he's "retired" lol

#14 ·
i went to Wyo tech. for heavy duty diesel technology. pretty strict rules but a good place over all. sht head students are the problem there

#16 ·
I got my CDL from a big trucking company. I worked for Prime Inc. for about 9 or 10 months I think. There CDL program is a good one if you get a good instructor and then a good trainer. The way it was for me was 3-4 weeks in a truck with an instructor who sits in the passenger seat while your driving because you only have a permit. Once you have been in that truck for I believe 10K miles roughly 3-4 weeks you test out and get your license. After that you go with a trainer and run a team for about 80K miles or about 3 months. Once your done with that you go back and pick your own truck and start driving by yourself. When I worked there the pay was only IIRC 250 a week for the first month and a week because you have to take classes and get your permit. Then when your in a team it is about 400 a week unless you and the other driver drive over something like 8K miles that week and you make ??? for every mile after that. Once your in your own truck you make .34 a mile starting for refers but I know its gone up since then but if you are good at it and learn how to maximize your time through your logs (and I'm not saying run 2) but work them right you can make an easy 800-1,000 a week just starting.

#17 ·
Rob02f350

I'm pretty sure that Fed. Regs state that in order to drive a tractor trailer, you MUST have a CDL A, a cdl B wont cut it. however here in RI, you can rent a day cab for about $400, plus the trailer is about $300 I could be a little high, but that's in the ball park. It's gonna take you a lot longer than 1 day to learn how to drive, and a lot longer on how to back up..

#18 ·
i have to look into it with the A-B thing.. technically speeking though...

CLASS A - This classification applies only to "combination" vehicles with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) exceeding 26,000 pounds, provided the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed exceeds 10,000 pounds.

CLASS B - This class includes single or combination vehicles where the GVWR of the single vehicle exceeds 26,000 pounds. The vehicle in tow must not exceed 10,000 pounds.

CLASS C - Vehicles designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, and vehicles placarded for hazardous materials, that do not meet the criteria for Class A or B above fall under this classification.

when i was working on the farm... i drove truck here n there... FA plates.. no CLD needed. but to go and get my license... you need a truck that passes regular inspection... not FA inspection. yes, there's a diffrence LOL. i just need a few days in a truck again to get the right side of my body working together again... i miss driving a 5-6 speed... 9-15 speed.. lol

i GET to go into do a job interview tuesday @ 7 am... so hopefully... i can start work there and not have to worry about it to much.. but ill still do some stuff on the side as a "favor" found out though, my trailers only rated for 7K 6'8X18' so im limited. seen a nice goose neck on craigs list though :drool:

#19 ·
Dont try it with that 18' trailer. they are not ment to put a bunch of miles on it all the time. Wheel bearings and tires are a PITA on the little trailers

#21 ·
I wouldn't bother unless you can use a bigger trailer, or at least a deckover to haul more than just one vehicle at a time.

#22 ·
:whs: and you need a CDL or your insurance will be crazy expensive. How old are you?

#24 ·
yep
the trailer aint big enough... wide or strong. but im not going to worry about it to bad. went for a job interview @ 7 am tuesday... i started work by 7:45AM. and when i was unloading my tools into the shop, i got a call from another job about a job opening.

anyways. hopefully with this company ill be able to try and get in with the pick up and delivery driver.. low boy & tractor.. but who knows.

when you guys are hauling, heavy... 5r & goose haul better for ya? i had the camper (5r) on the other day.. hauled great empty weight of 13K or so. then had the flat bed.. with a regular tag along and with the Allis charmers D... something. with weights.. about 6-8K and it Sucked for handling..

oh, im 18. had my licence for 3 years next week... driven between 45-50K miles with ZERO infractions of any kind. nock on wood. so im doing quite well. lol

#25 ·
Thats good that you have no tickets or anything. Problem with being 18 though is you cant go interstate(out of state) driving a vehicle weighing more then 26K lbs because of the CDL laws. Need to be 21 or older. If you have a pick up with a gooseneck or a 5er you could get away with it. O and I love a gooseneck or a 5er over a tag. Love it. Pulled a tag with my truck and I grossed about 20 and it was not nice. Then I drove a 04 Dmax dually CC LB with a 30ft deck over dual tandem and grossed 32 with it and I will tell you it was awesome. I just did not enjoy the truck to much. Pulled one of sapps horsey trailers with his dually and with another dually(F-350) before and they are awesome compaired to any tag.

#26 ·
If your hauling HEAVY alot, go with the fiver. The fifth wheel's nice because when its hooked up its not as tipsy at the front and its a breez to hook up. Getting started I'd just stick with a gooseneck hookup, they're just as nice as the fifth wheel only the two slight draw backs I just mentioned.

Also the law for 21+ to haul Interstate with a Class A CDL over 26k#'s sucks, I'm dealing with that right now.

#27 ·
man, i hear ya. i can go to a bar any day of the week after work... drink all night and never get carded. since i was 16. i get hit on by my friends moms before they know im only 18. LOL. i must really look like ####! ha ha ha but when it comes to DOB... dam.. cant hide that. anyways, i say age isnt as important as maturity.. that hole 30 yo that acts 12... or visa versa.. yeah im a visa versa 12 going 30.. now im 18 i work 12+ hours a day when i can and feel like im 80 in the morning..

if you have a pickup... and you know your over 26,001lb's.. whats the chances of getting caught... (not a ramp trailer) like a flat bed?

#28 ·
Depends what state your in... About the whole feeling old thing try doin 4 in the Marine Corp as a grunt. I was told that I have the body of a 53 year old and I am only 24 and the bad thin is that was told to me by a medical officer who is a doctor. Not cool.

#30 ·
funny stuff...

here i am thinking about doing it... and not really having a good trailer... things only 6'4" wide, 18 long and only good for 7K and yet i keep getting calls from people i know asking if i can help them tow sht.

Total so far...
3 jeeps
1 tauras
1 s10
2 jimmys
1/2 dozen tractors, a few stayed with me :)
truck parts
junk lumber
new lumber
pallet of bricks

but hey, it's been paying the fuel! been getting 1 buck a mile from the time i leave my drive way, to getting it, to your drive way, then an estimate back to mine.

havent lost out yet, but need to get a bigger trailer... when i get enough money.

anyone know where/how to go abouts selling a trailer?!!? lol i see car dealers but not to many trailer dealers...

#31 ·
PM me what your looking for, I can come up with something but you might have to drive a little bit.

#32 ·
Just as a few others have said there are a few things you will need, below are just a few to get ya going.

MC#-$300
DOT#-FREE
BCO3- (varies)$45-$75
CDL license- $50 to take the written, $-??? truck & trailer rental if you dont have access to one.
Commercial insurance-$3500 or more for someone your age. Minimum of 750,000 coverage needed.
EIN#- Free (for tax purposes)

*IRP “international registration plan” for vehicles 26000lbs or greater crossing state lines. Once set up you will receive your apportioned base plate and a cab card the cab card will have a list of all the states you will be operating with the gross vehicle weight.

*IFTA “international fuel tax agreement” for vehicles 26000lbs or greater crossing state lines. Once set up you will receive a set of IFTA stickers for each vehicle along with the IFTA license you will carry in the cab.

*NY HUT “ New York Highway Usage Tax” for any vehicle 18000lbs or greater operating in the state of New York is required to file for the NY Hut.

*KYU # “ Kentucky file number” For any vehicle 60000lbs or greater operating the state of Kentucky is required to have a KYU#.

*NM “ New Mexico weight distance permit” For any vehicle 26000lbs or greater operating in the state of New Mexico is required to be on file with the state.

*OR permit “ Oregon weight distance permit” for any vehicle 26000lbs or greater operating the state is required to obtain an Oregon permit.

*UCR “unified carrier registration” all motor carriers, private and for hire crossing state lines, are required to be UCR compliant. This gets your operating authority on file with the 43 states that participate.

*US Dot sanctioned drug consortium- all cdl drivers are required to be part of a US DOT sanctioned drug consortium. This puts your driver in a pool of motor carriers to be randomly selected for drug testing.

*Medical card- make sure to have your drives take a US DOT physical. When completed you driver will be given a medical card that must be carried at all times.

#37 ·
OMFG, the hell with that! lol

but i dont/cant worry about it now because i work 40+ hr a week at a tractor trailer repair center... so i just have to fix them and drive them around the yard in n out of my bay's

thats a lot of stuff to worry about! but im going to have to get my CDL to do road testing of trucks... but that'll be kinda easy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.