Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

CFM intake problems

3K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  01platinum 
#1 ·
Anybody else have problems with the lower portion blowing out of one side or the other?

#6 ·
No
Are your boots clean???
Ya new boots, clamps, CCV delete, cleaned pipes and intercooler.
The bottom seems to want to pivot one way or the other.
The stock setup cannot move so a lip on the bottom is not necessary.

#7 ·
I was waiting to hear the results from your testing. So far not sounding good.

#8 ·
SS T clamps... and you will have to remove some of the pretty paint from the lower part.

I modded the stock Y pipe for my H2e kit and with paint on it it would blow out all the time. Changed to SS T clamps and removed the paint... no mo problems.

#10 ·
This was my initial response to the product. Which got a nice, sh*tty reception, and nothing but responses as to how nobody ever has problems with the manifold boot's popping off on aftermarket upper-intakes that don't tie it it mechanically...... (except that nearly all of them had that exact problem at least once, if not more often while using hairspray, aftermarket boots and everything else they could find)

Here's my question...

Does it literally separate the two? If so, it's the dumbest pos I've ever seen. For starters, what is the total effected surface area between the two ducts? 4 square inches? With no fins, nothing. The amount of heat that's going to travel through, and actually make it's way into the intake air is not worth anyone's time in the first place....

Secondly, and more importantly...

The BIGGEST thing the stock upper intake manifold does is connect the inlet side to the compressor outlet, which is BOLTED to the engine via the turbo pedestal. This keeps the intake side from lifting off the lower manifolds under boost and popping out of the silicone couplers. JUST like the hypermax or similar intakes love to do. By having it all tied together it CANNOT lift and pop out of the boots because it's mechanically tied to the engine.

By separating them like that, you gain NOTHING and lose EVERYTHING. I'm sure they will tell you the problem is the inferior stock couplers once that starts happening.... Yet I have run over 90lbs of boost on the same stock couplers that have been on my engine since it was made in 1999.

If they still tied them together to stop this, what was the point again? According to them?

(This is complete bs. The ability of the tube wall to put heat into that air is not worth anyone's time)

IMO of course.

So if you're popping it out of the manifold boots I'm just going to sit back and laugh now if that's alright.

#12 ·
How about masking it off and and sandblasting the area where the clamps go to give the boots a little tooth to grap the intake. I could possibly see it being an issue on shiney powdercoating.

Tom

#14 ·
the shaping is a little off if youre just trying to use the bottom part. It shoudl have a little nub that fits into the bottom of the top part which connects to the turbo outlet, which keeps it in place and from blowing one side out. We were going to try and use the lower part by itself but i honestly dont see it working. It doesnt seem quite as tight a fit in the orange boots as the stock unit.

The hypermax has the strap that goes down to the pedistal to hold it down.

That being said, we actually have noticed a difference on the truck the entire cfm intake was installed on with egts. 50-100 degree drop. Truck has 38r w/ 1.00 housing, 238 hybrids with 27lpm nozzles, and a stealth stage1.

#21 ·
the shaping is a little off if youre just trying to use the bottom part. It shoudl have a little nub that fits into the bottom of the top part which connects to the turbo outlet, which keeps it in place and from blowing one side out. We were going to try and use the lower part by itself but i honestly dont see it working. It doesnt seem quite as tight a fit in the orange boots as the stock unit.

The hypermax has the strap that goes down to the pedistal to hold it down.

That being said, we actually have noticed a difference on the truck the entire cfm intake was installed on with egts. 50-100 degree drop. Truck has 38r w/ 1.00 housing, 238 hybrids with 27lpm nozzles, and a stealth stage1.

I am not doubting you... Ok, I am, I find that EXTREAMLY hard to believe.

#23 ·
"Our high temperature composite material allows your cooled air from your intercooler to be insulated from under the hood engine heat."
IOW, our snake oil will cure warts, the swine flu, aids, childbirth, ignorance, stupidity, athletes foot, dementia, clamydia, ........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.