Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

fire ring or no fire ring...

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  PTSUPERD 
#1 ·
I noticed some bubbles in the old overflow yesterday and instead of tossing in studs Im going to pull the heads and put some ported pieces on.
My question is this, I have noticed that many of you are not using these, the fire rings, is it not worth the money. I am not pulling the block so I don't think cometics would work without the required machining.
any input would be greatly appreciated.
I am going for big power int the long run and I don't like to do things twice.....

#4 ·
Now according to a guy that runs around here with some and a 7.3,He supposedly blew his fire rings because he started beating on it a little before the motor got up to temp fully.Are they really that touchy?

#10 ·
I assume your talking about me. Even if your not let me weigh in on my experiences and help clear this up. My fire ring setup does not currently seal completely until the motor is up to temp. They are not blown, they just leak like every set of fire rings. NOW the ***/Hypermax fire ring kit is set up differently than what I am running. Thier kit blocks off certain water passageways where the leak is most likely to occur at. Since thier setup does this the combustion gasses don't get into the water jackets and the motor can get up to temp and fire rings seal up no problem. Thier setup should be fine for a DD. Since my grooves are already cut I have to stick with the ring setup that I have, but I intend to block off the water passageways in much the same way on my motor to help solve that issue.

I hope that clarifies things a bit.

Jason

#6 ·
Yeh,that guy is probably just a tool then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.